Drilling Holes Through Foundation - Building & Construction - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 01-09-2010, 06:20 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Drilling Holes Through Foundation

Hi, I recently purchased a home. The home inspector recommended I vent out the basement bathroom fan and the fresh air intake duct outside the home. This involved drilling two holes (4" and 6" wide) from the basement through the foundation on the right side of the home, so that the 2 ducts could pipe out. I hired a general contractor to perform the work and they seemed a bit reluctant to do so, but completed the task once I told them the inspector recommended I do so.

I've recently noticed the ceiling on my second floor is a bit wavy and I could see where the joints/studs in the ceiling lie...although I'm not sure if that was there before.

Could the drilling of these 2 holes through the foundation have caused any foundation issues with my home?

The home is a detached home that is less than 10 years old.

Any help or thoughts you could provide would be very helpful.

Advertisement

quickquestion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2010, 07:50 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 500

The holes in the basement and the wavy ceiling on the second floor are not related.
The wavy second floor ceiling might be caused by the attic situation. Better have that checked. It appears to me like there may be an insulation/condensation issue up there.

Advertisement

jlhaslip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2010, 07:51 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 2,000

Doubtful, albeit remotely possible. As long as the holes were drilled a foot or so beneath the top of the foundation it is incredibly unlikely that they're compromising anything structurally. Unless there is severe cracking and movement of concrete around the holes there is nothing to be concerned about.

What's truly amazing to me is that your contractor opted to drill the holes through the foundation as opposed to drilling through the wooden rim joist at the floor joists' level, just above the foundation. That would be much, much easier in most circumstances compared to drilling 8" thick concrete.
Termite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2010, 01:42 AM   #4

Rewards Points: 2,020

They should be 3' away from any other opening- doors, window, other vents (air intake, dryer, bath fan), and 10' away from any outside above grade propane storage tanks.

Be safe, Gary