Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 01-10-2008, 11:11 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 6
Share |
Question

drilling holes for posts and stakes

i recently got one hell of a deal on a bosch rotary hammer at a pawn shop.

i have been and will be doing more framing for concrete and been making stakes out of 2x3s (goes into ground easier than 2x4) and setting them in with a sledge hammer. this is not an easy thing to do as sometimes the ground is hard and sometimes the stake twists making it not parallel with the direction of the bulkhead.

my question is: is there an adequate auger-like drill bit i can get for my rotary hammer (SDS-MAX) with which i can drill up to 2-ft deep and some 1/2-3/4-ft wide holes to easily set my stakes in ? i realized that just backfilling dirt around the stake to fill the empty space and pouring water on it to compact it makes it set just as firmly.

i think this would be the easiest way to do it ...

sincerely,

SLACKER

amakarevic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2008, 01:32 PM   #2
Woodworker and Contractor

Rewards Points: 0

Depends on the drill size. I have a 1 1/2" spline drive dewalt and a 1/2" by 27 " drill bit for it(actual drilling depth is 22") So you should be able to find one

Kingfisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2008, 01:39 PM   #3

Question

thanks. would you know to throw some keywords at me so that i know what to search for online ?

thx,

- a -
Old 01-10-2008, 01:52 PM   #4

actually, 1/2" seems awfully narrow, i am talking about almost foot-wide holes in the ground. this is almost like aeration holes that i am trying to make.
Old 01-10-2008, 03:42 PM   #5

those aren't stakes those are post LOL sorry I miss read it , must need those reading lessons somebody was offering me. No I don't think you are going to find anything like that and if you did the drill would kill you the first time you caught a big root. IMO
Old 01-10-2008, 04:57 PM   #6

Question

so what is an automated way to drill post holes then ? i am sure in this day and age they have some kind of machines to do it ...

i may recollect seeing a tractor-like machine with a drill in the front ...
Old 01-11-2008, 08:37 AM   #7

You can get a post hole digger, it looks like an ice auger and you can get different size diameter augers for it to drill the size hole you are looking for. They also make hydralic post hole diggers for bob cats and ones for tractors if that is what you mean. Have you thought about making a bit for your rotary(assuming it has a hammer only mode) that would pound in the 2x4's? I have seen bits that have a sleeve that fits over ground rods and pounds them in to hard ground with no problems. Maybe a peice of square stock steel that the 2x3 fits into an inch or two with a back plate welded on and a bit welded onto this to fit in your drill?
ponch37300 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2008, 10:18 AM   #8

Question

the hammer has a hammer mode (reciprocating motion) and drill mode (circular motion).

i envisioned to use the hypothetical auger-like tool in the drill mode.

it would need to look like a normal any size SDS auger drill bit that you can get at any tool shop but just bigger, instead of 1/2 in in diameter it would be 4-5 in in diameter. and i imagine, to prevent the aforementioned hazard of getting hurt amid an underground obstacle encounter, the speed of operation would need to be lower.

so, my question to you is: how do i make/improvise a bit like that without doing elaborate metalworks ?
Old 01-11-2008, 05:38 PM   #9

The drill is geared differently then the auger and that is what is stoping you from pulling this off. They do make small gas augers and I have used then for holes. They work great but for one man the are hard to use two people its good. If you realy what to try this just get a cheap bit and weld a blade to the front at about 10* angel and try it but be careful beacuse the trigers on all the drills I have used don't have a soft start fiture. Good luck and post how it goes if it works I'll try it to
Old 01-13-2008, 07:57 PM   #10

I was thinking of making a bit to pound the stakes into the ground instead of drilling a hole for them. You said you have been using a sledge hammer, make your drill a sledge hammer. Electricians use them to pound in ground rods all the time,
ponch37300 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2008, 09:20 PM   #11

Drilling a hole to set a stake is, if you will excuse me, a stupid idea. It would take more effort to attempt to tamp the fill firm enough for the stake to work than it would be to drive it. You could drill an inch to inch and a half pilot hole and that may help, but you should just get a bigger sledge and work on your aim. For posts, there are earth augers available, but a hammer drill does not have the torque to drive a 6" + auger, and you could not hold it if it did.
Tscarborough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2008, 07:43 PM   #12

To be more blunt.

Rent a earth auger. Don't try what you are thinking. You are wasting time and may injure yourself severely and damage your tool as well.
kgphoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2008, 08:22 PM   #13
so-elitecrete

steel form pins,,, much easier & they'll last forever,,, we quit using 2x4 stakes yrs ago,,, there may be an auger avail for the bosch but your labor costs'll still be higher'n form pins.
so-elitecrete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2008, 09:06 PM   #14

I'm a land surveyor by profession, but a builder at heart. In my surveying we have to put alot of wood in the ground, alot. Most are 2x2x8 for construction. When we run into hard ground we use what's called a 'bull prick' first to start the hole, then wack in the wooden hub. Works great! A bull prick is a hunk of re-bar perhaps #8 to #16 with a point gound on it. Put it in 3", then pull it out and repeat, just don't get the prick stuck.

Also, I just rented an electric (120v) jack hammer by 'Milwakee' with a 4" shovel that made moving alot of hard dirt quite fast. I think I paid $60usa for a day.

Last edited by SeanR; 01-17-2008 at 09:18 PM. Reason: Damn, this thread is like 10 mos. old...never mind
SeanR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2008, 05:31 AM   #15
so-elitecrete

to the conc biz,,, & w/respect to sean, his application's entirely different & surveyors don't 'move' at the same speed of other trades/professions,,, when we layout hubs, we'll have something like he describes but many surveyors don't carry generators & there's no battery equipment that'll suffice.

invest in some form pins & a 12# sledge - forget earth augers & drill bits,,, watch your competitors,,, while you fart around setting stakes, they're pouring,,, when you finally get around to placing & finishing, they've left for another job.

#8 rebar's 1" diam - #16's 2" diam - & nobody thinks a 4" asphalt/clay spade/s good for anything but cutting asphalt when you don't have to diamond saw,,, then again, there's no definition of ' alot of hard dirt '.

found over the yrs, you can often tell the difference quickly between pro's & diy'ers by their tools & how they use/respect 'em

so-elitecrete is offline   Reply With Quote