Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 09-28-2011, 10:42 AM   #1

Share |

Drilling Granite

I'd appreciate any tips regarding drilling the hole for the soap dispenser in a granite counter top. I plan to reinforce the underside with something, only haven't come up with the best material to use. I know it's probably not needed, its just that I hate the idea of screwing up a perfectly decent counter top. And yes I've tried to talk her into keeping the soap dispenser sitting on top but to no avail. So any advice is greatly appreciated.

Old 09-28-2011, 11:06 AM   #2

Drilling Granite

You need a diamond hole saw for this. The box stores should have what you need for this size hole but I buy mine from an ebay seller HERE. Slow speed with lots of water for cooling the bit and lubricant. I find forming a ring of plumbers putty around the hole is a good way of containing the water. You migt be able to epoxy a large washer or something of the like under the countertop but if this is 2 or 3cm granite, it most likely is unnecessary.

iminaquagmire is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to iminaquagmire For This Useful Post:
jackofmany (09-29-2011)
Old 09-28-2011, 11:37 AM   #3
Tileguy

Drilling Granite

You don't "drill" holes in granite counter tops, you "saw" holes in granite counter tops as stated above. And you NEVER use a percussion drill to do so. There are many places to buy the correct saw/core tool. Use a slow rpm drill tool and keep the area wet with a small pool of water. If the saw you buy also has a centering drill-bit remove it and discard it for this purpose.
Bud Cline is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2011, 12:14 PM   #4

Drilling Granite

I had been reading and your advice reinforces what I've seen so far. Neighbor has too many tools (if there is such a thing) and I will borrow the drill. Any input on what thin strong flat reinforcement to use? I was considering epoxying a large stainless flat washer to the underside.
Old 09-28-2011, 01:34 PM   #5
Tileguy

Drilling Granite

Quote:
Any input on what thin strong flat reinforcement to use? I was considering epoxying a large stainless flat washer to the underside
Why do you need to worry about that?
If the hole is cut the proper diameter to fit the riser-tube then I suppose there is a nut that comes with the unit. The nut should be either a wide washer-like nut or maybe a plastic nut but none-the-less a nut of ample size for everything to work out. You shouldn't need any re-enforcement. If you feel you do and the thread pipe is of sufficient length you could probably use a piece of Chinese-money.
Bud Cline is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Bud Cline For This Useful Post:
jackofmany (09-29-2011)
Old 09-28-2011, 02:30 PM   #6

Drilling Granite

forget the correct surface feet per minute speed diamond core bits/blades need to 'work' properly but iirc its somewhere in the 9,800 surface feet per minute range which is why pro's use water-fed 4" grinders,,, soap dispensers have gaskets so ixnay on the steel washer,, they're only set in hand-tight, anyway.

worry more about someone holding the dishpan underneath to catch the wtr when the plug drops,,, another guy will need to feed cool wtr into your 'dam' while using the wet/dry vac to suck up the slurry & hot wtr,,, my granite guys charge $100 to stop by & core the hole,,, it would have cost me $50 to buy the bit & a case of beer for the helpers,,,buy enough granite & they'll do it for free - don't ask me how i know - i just know

Last edited by stadry; 09-28-2011 at 03:10 PM.
stadry is offline   Reply With Quote