Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 08-01-2010, 05:08 PM   #1

Share |
Question

Drilling in concrete wall

Hi,
I am trying to install a pull up bar on a concrete wall. I have the right tools and as i drilled my holes in the wall, i was ready to install the concrete wedge anchor 3/8" X 5" and as i was putting into the hole, it disappeared in it. I was amazed, what has just happened. Could it be that i have pierced into the halo part of a block??
I tried to pierce above to put the second anchor and impossible to pierce. what the heck, i thought a concrete wall is the same everywhere.
Could someone help me understand what happened?

spatrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2010, 05:13 PM   #2
Licensed P.E./Home Insp

I couldn't begin to comment without seeing it. Any chance you can post pics?

Aggie67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2010, 05:20 PM   #3

i am learning how to post the picture, hold on.
Old 08-01-2010, 05:22 PM   #4

"Could it be that i have pierced into the halo part of a block??" There is a clue.............

Be safe, Gary
Old 08-01-2010, 05:26 PM   #5

Can i still anchor then using that hoe or i must pierce to try to avoid the halo of the block?
Old 08-01-2010, 05:36 PM   #6

As you can see, i have used the same concrete drill bit but on one hole it went well but got into a halo part since my anchor felt through it and on the others it can't go through.
weird.
Attached Thumbnails
Drilling in concrete wall-cimg0595.jpg   Drilling in concrete wall-cimg0594.jpg  
Old 08-01-2010, 05:45 PM   #7

As it looks like a plastered/stuccoed/textured wall inside, could you take a picture of the outside wall in question?

Be safe, Gary
Old 08-01-2010, 05:49 PM   #8
Electrician

I don't know if you'll be able to safely mount a pull-up bar on that wall unless you find the framing members.
Old 08-01-2010, 06:21 PM   #9

concrete walls don't have any ' halo part of a block ',,, its not 'crete but a block wall as you sez,,, were you using a twist drill & carbide bit OR did you need a hammer drill ? twist masonary bits will drill block but a waste of time on conc,,, soon's your bit ' broke thru ', you shouldda realized it weren't 'crete,,, jomama can explain it more fully.

forget the apron stores - find the right anchor at ' fastenwal ' branch,,, failing that, find the mortar jnt & put your anchors there,,, hope you don't weigh too much, tho - no financial interest
stadry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2010, 04:24 PM   #10

well it is the main wall of my house, so it is concrete. da

The framing members? but that wall is the side wall of my house and the pull up bar is mounted in the garage. I know it is concrete because the electricians have drilled in that wall with a huge hammer drill to install electricity. I am clueless about what happened while i was mounting the pull up bar, i can not explain why suddenly there are an area with halo part.
Old 08-03-2010, 04:37 PM   #11

you're in florida - they don't typically build w/conc walls but DO use cmu ( block ) construction which could've been grout filled,,, this may explain the voids,,, if you KNOW its conc, why did you use the work ' block ',,, then again, still awaiting to find out what ' halo ' is could you mean ' H-O-L-L-O-W ' ? ? ?

i'm skeptical electricians would use anything ' HUGE ' - what's ' HUGE ' to you wouldn't be to us pro's,,, if they had to core a hole, the drill stand would've been mounted on & sticking out from the wall 3',,, ' hammer drill ' is hand-held as is a weka drill - no drill stand.
stadry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2010, 04:42 PM   #12

Location: Minneapolis/St. Paul, Minnesota - Latitude 45.057 Longitude -93.074

spatrick - In Florida, it could be either concrete block with partial grouting or poured concrete, but in a home, the cost of solid concrete would decrease the possibility. Just because it is the main wall does not mean it is solid concrete since there are hundreds of partially grouted/reinforced 15-22 story loadbearing block buildings built using 6" thick hollow block with partially grouted block.

Probing and investigating in a home with unknown construction is very valuable and necessary. How far therough the drywall or plaster did you get before you hit the obstruction? Do you remember how far you got with the one that went into a hollow area?

Your wall could have many different types of construction. - Adhered drywall, studied drywall with either 3/4", 1 1/2" or 3 5/8" firing.

Just a thin layer of drywall will not support your load and you need to atttache to the concrete block or concrete to get real support unless you determine the spacing of any firing, but even then it will be "iffy".

Try drilling some much smaller holes that are easier to patch and probe with a wire to determine the construction and spacing of firing (if any)..

Dick
concretemasonry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2010, 04:51 PM   #13

OMG thank you thank you
I understand. It is hard without knowing anything about construction to figure it out and I have been asking around.....there are many people telling you they know but very few with a knowledgeable approach. Thank you and great fish on the picture!!!!
Old 08-03-2010, 05:05 PM   #14
Electrician

LOL, I'm glad he came and saved you from all of our unknowledgeable approaches

Quote:
Originally Posted by spatrick View Post
well it is the main wall of my house, so it is concrete. da
Did you mean to say "Duh" at the end there?
Old 08-03-2010, 05:10 PM   #15

I am learning