Drilling Angle Iron To Wood... - Building & Construction - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 06-24-2009, 08:40 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Drilling angle iron to wood...

Hi, i hope this isnt a re-post.

Im a first time DIY-er and i am making a skateboard grind box. On the corner of the box im putting a piece of 1/8 inch thick angle iron. Im using countersunk wood screws and my worry is the depth of the countersink. My question is this: if the iron is 1/8 inch thick and the screws head goes deeper, is it okay if part of the countersink goes into the iron and the rest goes into the wood? I hope that was clear. Thanks in advance!

Advertisement

atiffarooqi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2009, 09:13 PM   #2
Remodeler

Rewards Points: 150

should be fine, so long as there is still some taper to the countersink in the iron for the screws to pull down onto and pull the iron tight against the wood.

Just curious, why angle iron? I'm night entirely sure what a grind box is, but when I skated as a kid, I made a grind rail out of a 2x4 and screwed a piece of pipe down along it. The trucks slid real nice along that. Sounded cool too!

Advertisement

adpanko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2009, 09:46 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 10

Some use railing on their boxes, but since most ledges we skate are corners, and skate parks also use angle iron, it would have a universality to it if i used angle iron, since thisi s going to be a 8 foot long 15 inch high ledge.
atiffarooqi is offline   Reply With Quote