Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 04-13-2011, 01:59 PM   #1
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Indiana, PA
Posts: 1,304
Rewards Points: 506
Default

Dricore to tile transition


Ok, not sure what to do about this....

I am dricoring the basement, HOWEVER! I am not doing it in the bathroom (powder room) that will just be tile on concrete... now the dricore is 3/4" high, then will have carpet over it... that makes it about a 1" drop to the unfinished concrete floor in the bathroom... I was looking at tile that is 1/4" thick... now that plus the thinset will give me what about a little bit around what 3/8" total in height? or 1/2"? anything I can do to make this higher? without having to do the self leveling stuff... or should I go a route like Ditra which would add about 1/4" to the height and give me uncouppling of the tile to the concrete? that would get me closer in height I think? what would you guys do? or just find a thicker tile?

comments, suggestions? call me an idiot? take your pick!

BlueBSH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2011, 07:05 AM   #2
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Indiana, PA
Posts: 1,304
Rewards Points: 506
Default

Dricore to tile transition


no one has any ideas?

BlueBSH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2011, 07:42 AM   #3
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Long Island, NY
Posts: 9,519
Rewards Points: 2,000
Default

Dricore to tile transition


My first thought was to put down a layer of cement board in a bed of thinset, but I don't know if the lack of mechanical fasteners would compromise the installation.
You could check the manufacturers website.
Second idea would be to install a marble saddle at the threshold.
Ron
Ron6519 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2011, 07:46 AM   #4
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Indiana, PA
Posts: 1,304
Rewards Points: 506
Default

Dricore to tile transition


Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron6519 View Post
My first thought was to put down a layer of cement board in a bed of thinset, but I don't know if the lack of mechanical fasteners would compromise the installation.
You could check the manufacturers website.
Second idea would be to install a marble saddle at the threshold.
Ron
humm don't know if I would want to go the threshold route, I'd love to get them as equal height as possible... maybe 1/4" drop at most...


dont know if tapconing cement board down then tiling over it would work?...
BlueBSH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2011, 07:49 AM   #5
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Long Island, NY
Posts: 9,519
Rewards Points: 2,000
Default

Dricore to tile transition


Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueBSH View Post
humm don't know if I would want to go the threshold route, I'd love to get them as equal height as possible... maybe 1/4" drop at most...


dont know if tapconing cement board down then tiling over it would work?...
I'd go the self leveling route before I did that.
Ron
Ron6519 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2011, 07:58 AM   #6
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Indiana, PA
Posts: 1,304
Rewards Points: 506
Default

Dricore to tile transition


Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron6519 View Post
I'd go the self leveling route before I did that.
Ron
kinda where I thought that was going to go... I really hate getting that stuff to go level...

for self leveling, it takes a lot to get it to level... basically have to screed it still
BlueBSH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2011, 08:34 AM   #7
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Long Island, NY
Posts: 9,519
Rewards Points: 2,000
Default

Dricore to tile transition


Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueBSH View Post
kinda where I thought that was going to go... I really hate getting that stuff to go level...

for self leveling, it takes a lot to get it to level... basically have to screed it still
If Bud Cline doesn't chime in, you might want to check out The John Bridges Forum. A very informative collection if tiling and substrate information.
Ron
Ron6519 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2011, 09:24 AM   #8
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Indiana, PA
Posts: 1,304
Rewards Points: 506
Default

Dricore to tile transition


Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron6519 View Post
If Bud Cline doesn't chime in, you might want to check out The John Bridges Forum. A very informative collection if tiling and substrate information.
Ron
never heard of that before, thanks!

BlueBSH is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
How to transition from lower tile to higher tile? PatrickGSR94 Tiling, ceramics, marble 2 04-07-2011 06:21 PM
Tile landing Carpet stair Transition Tmint Flooring 1 02-04-2011 04:35 AM
Removing Tile Over Hardwood: Need Help With Kitchen/Bath Creelove Flooring 3 02-01-2011 06:03 AM
Transition from grouted vinyl tile to carpet MI-Roger Flooring 2 11-29-2009 12:55 PM
carpet to tile transition jeeper36 Flooring 1 10-26-2007 10:16 PM




Top of Page | View New Posts

Copyright © 2003-2014 Escalate Media. All Rights Reserved.