Forums | Home Repair | Home Improvement | Painting | Interior Decorating | Remodeling | Landscaping

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 08-12-2012, 09:10 PM   #1

Share |

Draining a Deck

My 12 X 15' deck was built with the proper slope away from the home but I would have added a little more if had to do over and here is why. First I used premium treated wood and butted them figuring when they dried out the gap would be about right. My problrm is created by the fact that the deck is built into an inside corner of the home and there are no gutters plus there are additional rooflines that drain into the roof above the deck so a lot of water comes down in a good storm mostly at the inside corner area of the home. Still not a big deal but I am in the woods and have found that debris [usually small dirtlike stuff] packs into the gap between the boards and seals them up as if they were a boat seam. That allows water to puddle more than I like. It is really a pain to try and clear out the debris between the boards with a putty knive to help drainage and of course it will return in a few weeks. I have considered buying a vibrating trim saw to make it easier but am not sure that will help clean out the cracks without damaging the board edges.
I have considered drilling a few 1/2" holes in the deck boards located in the corner or even putting in a couple of long slots for draining but that may look unprofessional. Even thought of using those round soffitt air vents as drains.
Has anyone run into this situation and if so would appreciate any thoughts on resolving the problem?
JackB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2012, 09:14 PM   #2

Draining a Deck

Add gutters with leaf guards and the problum goes away.
And no not the cheap home center ones.
joecaption is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2012, 09:41 PM   #3

Draining a Deck

You must mean the $50/ft ones . A possible soultion I have considered except the hand split cedar shake home has reverse sloped cedar facia boards and I am hesitant to tackle that gutter attachment.
Old 08-12-2012, 10:02 PM   #4

Draining a Deck

I've never once seen them priced that high in my area. Gutter helmnt is selling for $17.00 a ft.
I make tranguler shaped stand off out of 1X vinyl lumber is it's a steep angle on the fashias.
For a less steep angles they make aluminum brackets to do it.
joecaption is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2012, 11:20 PM   #5

Draining a Deck

I think my seamless gutter guy charges $7 lf for runs less than 20' and less for longer runs. That includes install, well worth the money.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
robertcdf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2012, 08:22 AM   #6

Draining a Deck

I said that price more tongue in cheek and just meant that, at least in our area, systems like gutter helmets are at the high price end for gutter clogging solutions. For those of us in the woods where tree limb damage can be a problem repair is also quite expensive. That said they do offer one of the better solutions. In my case I wou;ld rather solve the problem at the deck level.