Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 03-23-2011, 10:46 AM   #1

Share |

drainage and sump pumps

My neighbour is in trouble with the city for cutting a hole in the curb to drain his sump pump. The city has now ordered him to correct this problem. He is planning to dig a trench to accomodate this, but I fear this will only end up flooding my property.The bylaw states he cannot direct the flow onto adjoining property, so can I insist he direct it at his own? Also, how deep should this trench be? Is there a building code reference I can Use when corresponding with him that would ensure this goes right. He is not the type to do it right, just do it cheap

sduncan5718 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2011, 11:45 AM   #2

drainage and sump pumps

You can obtain the specific code from your city, but why not stop by the building department, talk to one of the inspectors, make them aware of your concerns, and see how they respond? Since he has been directed to "correct this problem", one might assume that does not simply mean removing the drain to the street and creating a different problem, and since he was clearly in violation of code, they probably will make sure that the new configuration is within code, which, by nature, would prohibit the water from running onto your property.

DexterII is offline   Reply With Quote