Drainage Issue - Building & Construction - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 12-14-2009, 04:18 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

drainage issue

trying to get this drainage thing sorted for my carport before I go reworking the structure and reroofing.
I am having some drainage issues with carport. Well I should say lack of drainage causing an issue. It is been sitting wet for some time. I am just wondering if I should dig 18" trench out in front of it, put in corrugated or some other drain pipe and backfill with gravel and drain it out around the far end or since it is going to be gravel in there anyway should I dig trench in the center, then bust out one of the concrete blocks and shoot it out the back into the yard. Forgive my lack of proper terms etc... any wisdom would be appreciated. overall plan is to get drainage sorted, then resupport, reroof, and side the far left bay (where water is sitting to have another workspace).

Kind of new to the whole process, not looking for some top of the line fix, just a basic remedy to keep water out and give the structure a better chance at standing solid as long as the wood holds. Lead me to the light and I shall execute.

thanks in advance.

Advertisement

jeremiah1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2009, 04:20 PM   #2
Pro

Rewards Points: 25

drainage issue

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeremiah1 View Post
trying to get this drainage thing sorted for my carport before I go reworking the structure and reroofing.
I am having some drainage issues with carport. Well I should say lack of drainage causing an issue. It is been sitting wet for some time. I am just wondering if I should dig 18" trench out in front of it, put in corrugated or some other drain pipe and backfill with gravel and drain it out around the far end or since it is going to be gravel in there anyway should I dig trench in the center, then bust out one of the concrete blocks and shoot it out the back into the yard. Forgive my lack of proper terms etc... any wisdom would be appreciated. overall plan is to get drainage sorted, then resupport, reroof, and side the far left bay (where water is sitting to have another workspace).

Kind of new to the whole process, not looking for some top of the line fix, just a basic remedy to keep water out and give the structure a better chance at standing solid as long as the wood holds. Lead me to the light and I shall execute.

thanks in advance.
what's the grand scheme of things? why not just pour a concrete pad?

Advertisement

ClemS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2009, 04:30 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 10

drainage issue

grand scheme is short term fix in a sense. I don't plan on living here for ages but want it to be up to snuff if I decide to move on or good enough if I do. Just want to adjust it to be able to park a car or two in there and have another workspace to keep lumber, tools, etc dry. Trying to stick within a reasonable budget. Trying to get it all done for under 1k. with gravel, siding, roof, replacing what needs replacing etc...Figure concrete may be cost prohibitive.
jeremiah1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2009, 08:26 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 75

drainage issue

if its short term, then just try to change the grade of the area that is holding water. Dig your trench enough to where the water can escape then you can just pretty it up abit with some seed and straw or something, as long as you have the grade running down hill then you should be fine.
Toolmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2009, 08:32 PM   #5
Pro

Rewards Points: 25

drainage issue

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeremiah1 View Post
grand scheme is short term fix in a sense. I don't plan on living here for ages but want it to be up to snuff if I decide to move on or good enough if I do. Just want to adjust it to be able to park a car or two in there and have another workspace to keep lumber, tools, etc dry. Trying to stick within a reasonable budget. Trying to get it all done for under 1k. with gravel, siding, roof, replacing what needs replacing etc...Figure concrete may be cost prohibitive.
i think treating yourself to a cold one after you're done would be cost prohibitive with that budget
ClemS is offline   Reply With Quote