Drainage Away From Basement - Building & Construction - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 04-02-2011, 01:57 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 25

Drainage away from basement

Hi all - new here. Wasn't sure where to put this but this is where I found the other "leaky basement" questions.

This is actually about my neighbor's basement but relates to my property. Their basement is leaking. Unfortunately I don't know anything about their basement, but my questions are more generic.

The male half of that household thinks part of the problem is a bush I have at the corner near their house. I did some reading up on this. I'm finding the #1 problem with leaking basements is the drainage, i.e. gutters and downspouts, grading of the lawn, etc. I've read about building up near the house to allow grading away from the foundation. He dumped some dirt over there, but I've noticed it's very low right under the downspout. I was going to try planting some grass in that area as I've heard that helps.

Also the little extender thing from the downspout (whatever you call those) is very short and leads... right by my bush. The front yards slope downwards just slightly and it seems it ought to be pointed out front that way, and be longer. (It's less than 2' long.) They also have some little stone sort of things in their landscaping, only about 6" high so nothing drastic, but only leaving about 1" between that and the corner where the leakage occurs, next to the downspout. So it seems everything is just dumping into this area.

I don't want to cause their basement problems, but I also don't want my bush to take any/all the blame if this is not the case. I did read where "overgrown" bushes can cause problems. What would "overgrown" mean? How close to a house is a problem? How big a bush - or I guess more to the point, how big a root system would be a problem?

Thanks.

Advertisement

Erimess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2011, 10:54 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 2,000

The bush is not the issue. The issue is the low area under the downspout and the short leader. Regrade the area and extend the down spout out at least 3 feet from the house.
Ron

Advertisement

Ron6519 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2011, 10:50 AM   #3

Rewards Points: 2,464

that won't resolve the issue but its much better than a sharp stick in your eye,,, hopefully it won't get worse
stadry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2011, 02:10 AM   #4

Rewards Points: 25

Sorry - so many things going on I forgot I even posted this.

Thanks to both of you. I had a feeling the bush wasn't the issue but wanted to get a second opinion. And thanks itsreallyconc for the comedy. Basement leaks never seem to fully disappear, but I do agree that having a stick in my eye wouldn't be much fun either.
Erimess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2011, 04:59 AM   #5

Rewards Points: 2,464

wtf am i doing up at such an unGodly hr ? ok, here's the answer to the ' why ' of his/your/anyone's leaking bsmt,,, when the bldr backfilled the excavation, it was not done in compacted ' lifts ' therefore the soil compaction next to bsmt walls is very soft compared to soil that's not been disturbed,,, when it rains, wtr tuns downhill & takes the path of least resistance meaning it penetrates the soft soil & settles at the base of the footer,,, IF it cannot escape, it will build up & try to seek its own lever,,, along the way it has dissolved some soil acid salts which attack the lime in concrete/mortar helping to dissolve the wall,,, block walls are softer & disintegrate faster than conc,,, wtr also rushes to fill a void ( try making a hole in a tub/sink full of wtr ) so leaking wtr pulls in more wtr behind itself.

the bush's roots exacerbate the soft soil issue thereby making things worse,,, positive bsmt wall drainage & redirection of downspouts incl leader drains helps but will never cure anything permanently,,, the bldg code still calls for a 3mil DAMPPROOFING coating, NOT a WATERPROOF coating,,, so the bldg code is the pro wtrproofer's friend,,, most of our work is wtr management/redirection, NOT wtrproofing,,, think of your bsmt as a ship's hull under waterline,,, big ships/boats have bilge pumps so why should our 'homeships' be different ?

there are probably a couple other points to be made but they escape me now so i'm going back to bed,,, suffice to say, nono of us pro wtrproofers stop leaking wtr w/o managing it,,, take the above as water gospel & pass it on to your n'bor

so endeth the final morning reading nite-nite !
stadry is offline   Reply With Quote