Forums | Home Repair | Home Improvement | Painting | Interior Decorating | Remodeling | Landscaping

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 03-05-2011, 10:29 PM   #1
Coatings Nerd

Share |

drafty Anderson door wall

We have an Anderson sliding double door wall. The type with two sliding doors that lock in the middle. When the doors are closed and locked, we have a draft from either side of each door, from the top all the way to the bottom. So much so that you can feel the air blowing from 12" or so away. How do I go about fixing this? The door was installed in 08

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Benjamin Moore, Sikkens, TWP, PPG, Airless sales and service
NCpaint1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2011, 05:56 AM   #2
KemoSabe

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCpaint1 View Post
We have an Anderson sliding double door wall. The type with two sliding doors that lock in the middle. When the doors are closed and locked, we have a draft from either side of each door, from the top all the way to the bottom. So much so that you can feel the air blowing from 12" or so away. How do I go about fixing this? The door was installed in 08
Andersen doors have an interlocking weatherstrip that is applied to each of the door panels. If either one of the pair is not installed, you will get a draft.

Open the doors part way and look for the weatherstripping. It is a separate piece that is screwed onto the edge of each door panel.

Here's a link for replacements.
FRENCHWOOD DOORS
http://www.allaboutdoors.com/index.p...6244e08cae99e7

PERMASHIELD DOORS
http://www.allaboutdoors.com/index.p...43_155_185_240

Last edited by loneframer; 03-06-2011 at 06:07 AM.
loneframer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2011, 07:30 AM   #3
Coatings Nerd

Weatherstrip is installed. If I push on the edge a bit with the door closed the draft seems to be less. I'm not sure if maybe it just needs to be adjusted. One side of the door sticks when half way open during the winter, due to the wood strip at the top expanding slightly.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 03-06-2011, 07:36 AM   #4
Coatings Nerd

Also, with both doors closed and locked, I can push from either side (left or right) and slide the door until it stops. The side that I push from, the draft stops, but still exists on the opposite side.

Old 03-06-2011, 07:53 AM   #5

Quote:
Also, with both doors closed and locked, I can push from either side (left or right) and slide the door until it stops. The side that I push from, the draft stops, but still exists on the opposite side.
It sounds like the frame is bowed away from the doors on all 2 sides. Check with a straight edge or a plumb bob to see if this is true. If it is, remove the side and top moldings and reshim the door so the legs are straight.
The top frame might be bowed down if it hits wood. On a slider, the only wood, besides the frame, is the wood in front of the door to keep it in place. Which wood are you saying is swelling?
Ron
Ron6519 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2011, 08:09 AM   #6
Coatings Nerd

The part that's sticking is the piece on the inside top. Looks like part of the track. It has screws in it, so I know I can adjust that. I didn't want to loosen it for fear of making the draft worse.

Old 03-06-2011, 05:27 PM   #7
KemoSabe

Quote:
The part that's sticking is the piece on the inside top. Looks like part of the track. It has screws in it, so I know I can adjust that. I didn't want to loosen it for fear of making the draft worse.
That wood piece with screws in it is the retainer for the operating panels. If you remove that strip of wood, the panels can be tilted in and lifted off the roller track. Never remove the entire piece on a double door without someone to hold one of the panels in place while you remove the other.

There are several components to the interlocking weatherstrip. It's possible that part of the assembly is damaged or missing.

It's also possible that the lock mechanism needs to be adjusted to pull the doors tighter together when the latch is engaged. The adjustment is made with a very small slotted screwdriver. There is an adjustment screw on the latch mechanism that adjusts the keeper plate in or out.

Another issue could be that the door panels aren't aligned properly when closed. One cause of this is a sag or a hump in the bottom track, which is not always an easy fix. It's typically caused by issues with the framing.
The Following User Says Thank You to loneframer For This Useful Post:
NCpaint1 (03-06-2011)
Old 03-06-2011, 05:35 PM   #8
Coatings Nerd

Quote:
Originally Posted by loneframer View Post
That wood piece with screws in it is the retainer for the operating panels. If you remove that strip of wood, the panels can be tilted in and lifted off the roller track. Never remove the entire piece on a double door without someone to hold one of the panels in place while you remove the other.

There are several components to the interlocking weatherstrip. It's possible that part of the assembly is damaged or missing.

It's also possible that the lock mechanism needs to be adjusted to pull the doors tighter together when the latch is engaged. The adjustment is made with a very small slotted screwdriver. There is an adjustment screw on the latch mechanism that adjusts the keeper plate in or out.

Another issue could be that the door panels aren't aligned properly when closed. One cause of this is a sag or a hump in the bottom track, which is not always an easy fix. It's typically caused by issues with the framing.
Thanks ill check the latch adjustment. It pulls pretty tight as is. It looks like the weatherstrip just doesn't fully meet, both sides at the same time. Either the left side will or the right.

The home is built with ICF's so there really isn't much I can do to adjust the whole thing if need be...I don't think.

Old 03-06-2011, 07:35 PM   #9
KemoSabe

Something sounds unusual to me. I've installed literally hundreds of Andersen sliders, of all shapes and sizes. I've never heard a complaint of them being drafty and many of them were beachfront homes.

If you fly me out to take a look, I'd be happy to give you my professional opinion.
Old 03-06-2011, 07:42 PM   #10
Coatings Nerd

Quote:
Originally Posted by loneframer View Post
Something sounds unusual to me. I've installed literally hundreds of Andersen sliders, of all shapes and sizes. I've never heard a complaint of them being drafty and many of them were beachfront homes.

If you fly me out to take a look, I'd be happy to give you my professional opinion.
Ill post some pics up tomorrow. Its baffled me. Its probably something really simple that I'm overlooking.
The Following User Says Thank You to NCpaint1 For This Useful Post:
loneframer (03-06-2011)