Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 01-01-2008, 10:09 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 0
Share |

Drafts around canned lighting

Hello all,
We have added a few rooms to our house incorporating canned lights. The cans specify a 2 inch clearance from insulation, thus there is space for air to find its way in and form a slight draft. We have an attic so I do have access to place something around each can. I was thinking of a 1 gallon plastic paint can or something like placed upside down over each can that would give plenty of clearance yet stop the airflow. I would cut a small notch to accommodate the wiring. Because there are about thirty cans involved here, there is significant airflow. Any other ideas to address this situation would be greatly welcomed.
Thank you and happy holidays!!!!!!!!!!!
/Scott

skooterpie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2008, 10:41 PM   #2
Union HVAC Tech.

Those cans get very hot an enclosing them is a real bad idea with anything that will burn, ie plastic. I have seen some people that have built large plywood boxes around them but like I said very large for the side of the fixture. Your electrician should have had you go for insulation contact rated fixtures for an attic install.

bigMikeB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2008, 06:50 AM   #3
Lic. Builder/GC/Remodeler

As stated already, IC rated can-lights should have been used. I am very surprised that they weren't.

Any ways, consider looking into using fire-rated insulation. This is something that you should check with your local inspectional offices about. Get their OK or their Nay. Generally, when non IC-rated cans are installed, they are pulled out and replaced.

Here are some links for Fire-rated insulation. We have not use it in an application as you describe. We use it mainly for fire-rated partitions and around chimneys.

Links:
http://www.idimn.com/pdfs/Insulation...fiber_SAFB.pdf
Superior Fire Resistance All THERMAFIBER products perform well in fire protection:
— T
HERMAFIBER SAFBs are defined as “noncombustible” by NFPA Standard 220 when tested
according to ASTM E136.
— Tests proved that T
HERMAFIBER products can resist temperatures in excess of 2,000 °F,
comparing favorably with glass fiber products that begin to disintegrate and melt at

about 1,050 °F.

and: http://www.roxul.com/graphics/RX-NA/...irewall_EN.pdf
AtlanticWBConst. is offline   Reply With Quote