Doublewide Basement Buildout - Building & Construction - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 10-27-2012, 05:01 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 526

Doublewide Basement Buildout

So my mom got a doublewide installed on the farm a couple years ago on a pou wall 8' basement. I have slowly been working on finishing it off when I am home as it would be nice to have a full basement and plan on spending time there throughout the years and more when I retire.

I am in the middle of my second basment buildout in Minneapolis under all the permit restrictions so I know what I am doing usually. However, the doublewide is a little different than a normal house.

For the basement ceiling, you would normally have the floor joists 16" on center to nail the drywall and can lights to. The doublewide was two steel beams running the length of the house with the wood floor joists on top of them. They are a good 12" in height.

From looking at things, should I run 2x4s (12') from the exterior wall to the center wall, laid flatways on the beams to approximate the bottom of the floor joists?

If this is totally confusing, I will try and get a pic up, but re sizing and uploading is totally confusing to me.

B

Advertisement

Beepster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2012, 05:11 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 608

Just install a suspended ceiling.

Advertisement

joecaption is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2012, 05:30 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 2,032

I agree with Joe, probably the quickest and easiest method of providing a ceiling ..... if you are wanting something a little more pleasing to the eye than the typical 2'x4' track ceiling google Armstrong Suspended Ceilings, they have lots of attractive options.

Good luck!

"You get what you pay for, and sometimes free costs more!"
GBrackins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2012, 07:26 PM   #4

I will have to look into. I have always been resistant to a suspended ceiling because it looks like a suspended ceiling. Not as good as a drywall ceiling.

Any other opinions besides a suspended ceiling?

B
Old 10-27-2012, 07:34 PM   #5

http://www.armstrong.com/resclgam/na.../us/panels.asp

Old 10-28-2012, 10:44 AM   #6

I am a bit resistant to drop ceilings because they look like office ceilings (which I detest in the home) or they are expensive.

I have no need to have any access to this space ever.

Is this seriosly how you guys would do it? Am I being this pig headed in wanting my basement ceiling to look like a nice normal ceiling?

B
Old 10-28-2012, 11:00 AM   #7
AHH, SPANS!!!

Rewards Points: 1,032

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beepster View Post
I am a bit resistant to drop ceilings because they look like office ceilings (which I detest in the home) or they are expensive.

I have no need to have any access to this space ever.

Is this seriosly how you guys would do it? Am I being this pig headed in wanting my basement ceiling to look like a nice normal ceiling?

B

install the suspended ceiling grid work and add drywall to it instead of dropping ceiling tiles in. just need to adde lots and lots of drop wires to hang the grid off of. Otherwise you need 2x6 to span across the room and hold up the drywall. How tall are the ceilings down there now up to the beams?
hand drive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2012, 07:04 PM   #8

8' ceiling. All I was thinking of doing was laying 12' 2x4s on the side every 16" on center like a floor joist. There are two steel beams to screw into plus the the center and exterior wall.

All the work to hang a suspended ceiling on a 1500 sq ft seems like the same amount to put these boards up and hang drywall sheets.

That seems like a ton of work to hang the grid and then have drywall as the tiles. How the heck do you paint that?

B
Old 10-28-2012, 07:20 PM   #9

Rewards Points: 508

I may be wrong, seems you would need access sooner or later.
There must be some sort of plumbing or hvac, wiring that is running under the floor.

You can do what you want, I would hate to cover things you may need access to later.
You mentioned "out on the farm" Do you have any mice on your farm that can move in and chew up ductwork or electrical?, plastic pex like plumbing that is common on mobile homes?

All that aside, 12' span for a 2x4 with no support in the middle, will be some weight on them, I suspect will sag in the middle, would use 2x6 "If I were to do it"
Old 10-28-2012, 07:39 PM   #10

the maximum span for 2x4 ceiling joists at 16" o.c. using spruce-pine-fir #2 would be 10'-9" for a dead load of 5 psf. see this link for span tables for ceiling joists

http://publicecodes.cyberregs.com/ic...9_8_sec002.htm

good luck!

Old 10-28-2012, 09:53 PM   #11
AHH, SPANS!!!

Rewards Points: 1,032

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beepster View Post
8' ceiling. All I was thinking of doing was laying 12' 2x4s on the side every 16" on center like a floor joist. There are two steel beams to screw into plus the the center and exterior wall.

All the work to hang a suspended ceiling on a 1500 sq ft seems like the same amount to put these boards up and hang drywall sheets.

That seems like a ton of work to hang the grid and then have drywall as the tiles. How the heck do you paint that?

B
Are you talking about stripping the ceiling with 2x4s screwed up to the underside of the steel beams, or having 2x4s span 12' between the walls? the grid is the framework for the drywall and you screw the drywall to it just like studs,The drywall does not drop in like tiles. I've done a few commercial ceilings this way and the reason I mention it is for space restraints associated with basement ceilings..
hand drive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2012, 10:50 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by hand drive View Post
Are you talking about stripping the ceiling with 2x4s screwed up to the underside of the steel beams, or having 2x4s span 12' between the walls? the grid is the framework for the drywall and you screw the drywall to it just like studs,The drywall does not drop in like tiles. I've done a few commercial ceilings this way and the reason I mention it is for space restraints associated with basement ceilings..
I am talking about using the 2x4s as stripping for the drywall. The two steel beams will be at about the 4' and 8' interval of the span. Plus they will be fastened at each end of the 12' span. I am not for one second worried about any sagging. If I were to try and put the 2x4s further apart there may be a worry.

At a very minimum, I may do drop ceiling for the bathroom and drop/no ceiling in the utility room. Otherwise the rim joist area is buttoned up with plywood and a couple layers of xps held in place by sprayfoam. Not a worry about access.

B

Advertisement