Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 01-09-2013, 05:51 PM   #1
mpb

Share |

double wall framing (interior walls)

I'm widening an interior wall (to 10") so that I can frame a book case around an open doorway. When building a double wall (on slab) can I just use two PT 2x4s w/ space between as bottom plates or do I use a 2x10? W/ the 2x4s, only worry would be the walls moving independently (swelling/shrinkage) causing cracked joints in drywall (as well as any code violations). I've seen pics of the 2x4s connected w/osb/ply underneath to tie them together(???) but this was on top of ply subflooring not slab concrete. There will also be a 4x4 post sitting on the plate supporting a 2x12 beam. What's the best way to do this? Living in TX if that matters. Thanks!!

mpb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 06:32 PM   #2
journeyman carpenter

use the wide plate then 2x4`s for studs. it will keep the two walls parrellel. just be sure to use deadly striaght 2x10`s for the plates so your not fighting to make it straight to a chalkline on the floor

woodworkbykirk is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to woodworkbykirk For This Useful Post:
mae-ling (01-09-2013), mpb (01-09-2013)
Old 01-10-2013, 07:17 PM   #3

You might be able to save a few concrete fasteners using one plate rather than two. Be sure of your house water supply entrance location ... Use the less straighter one on the concrete, just saw partway through to straighten, impossible for the top plate, unless doubling up. It won't matter for drywall, though, unless a shear diaphragm wall, no fasteners required to the bottom plate, unless you want them. Especially using a base trim after.

Gary