Double-paned Window Glass Replacement - Building & Construction - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 08-13-2008, 06:54 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Double-paned window glass replacement

I want to replace a fogged up double-paned window (just the glass, not the frame). 3 different glass shops gave me these quotes: $600, $540, $300.

That last one is obviously significantly lower. Any ideas where the difference might come from? They provide a 10-year warranty.

They said that there are no real brands of window glass, "glass is glass", and they use a local supplier that does nothing but double-paned windows. Seems plausible to me, but I'm not in the construction business.

Any advice is appreciated. Just wondering why they might be so much cheaper.

Thank you!
-am

Advertisement

maximizer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2008, 12:43 AM   #2
BUILDER / REMODELING CONT

Rewards Points: 1,000

what size glass is it, sounds as tho its got some size to it.

Advertisement

buletbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2008, 12:30 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by buletbob View Post
what size glass is it, sounds as tho its got some size to it.
It is 48W x 57H
Old 08-14-2008, 02:58 PM   #4
BUILDER / REMODELING CONT

Rewards Points: 1,000

that's a decent size piece of glass. A good glass with metal spacer bar should be around the 500.00 range tempered. something from a locale window company with a black swiggle seal is priced in the 300.00 range.you must take into consideration that prices are different from state to state.
buletbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2008, 02:59 PM   #5
Handyguy

Rewards Points: 500
Send a message via Skype™ to Brik

There was a long discussion on anti fogging versus replacing the panes in another forum. One poster was able to unfog an insulated window himself by drilling small holes in two opposite corners on the inside. You loose a bit of the features (argon filled in some fancy windows) but you don't have that anyway if your window is fogged. You can also replace the glass yourself...
Did just that and documented it here (listen to the podcast and read the article)
http://www.handyguyspodcast.com/32/e...7-broken-glass
Brik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2008, 01:06 PM   #6

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by buletbob View Post
that's a decent size piece of glass. A good glass with metal spacer bar should be around the 500.00 range tempered. something from a locale window company with a black swiggle seal is priced in the 300.00 range.you must take into consideration that prices are different from state to state.
Thanks for your answer. What would be the advantages of a metal spacer vs "black swiggle seal" (btw, is that just rubber?) I need to look at what we have right now I guess. This window is less than 1/3 of total window length on that wall, so it probably makes sense to use the same type as the rest of them.

And what do you consider "good glass" vs "so-so glass"? Just trying to understand this stuff before I spend the money, so really appreciate any help.

Thanks so much!

Advertisement