Double Level Deck 6x6 Posts - Building & Construction - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 09-05-2009, 10:44 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Double Level Deck 6x6 posts

I'm trying to build a double level deck and have a question about notching 6x6 posts.

The deck is going to be attached to the back of a row house with 2 6x6 posts 3' away from the house and about 12' apart. Another two 6x6 posts are going to be 15' from the house (also 12' apart), and thus 12' from the other posts.

I'm planning to actually cement in the two posts that are 15' from the house 30'' into the ground to have solid footers. My question is regarding the second deck above the first deck that will be 21' from the ground (about 10' from the first deck).

Can I cement in 2 6x6x24' posts and then notch them for the 2 2x10's to support the first deck? Will the rest of the 6x6x24 be able to support the upper deck given they've been notched half way up?

Advertisement

Skytree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2009, 01:14 PM   #2
Licensed P.E./Home Insp

Rewards Points: 500

I wouldn't allow a 24 foot wooden column to be notched for 2x's half way up on my watch.

Multi-story decks bring into play several structural issues that aren't normally encountered in single level decks. Specifically, you need to address shear, column buckling, and seismic issues.

Other issues that have to be looked at include:

1. You won't get a 12 foot span out of two 2x10's, no matter what wood species you're using.
2. Frost and soil conditions will play roles in your footing design.
3. Local building code officials will have a say in footings and structural framing.

What state are you from, and have you been in touch with the building code official? There might be local requirements that he/she can help you with.

Also, in my neck of the woods, I can't build a multi-story deck without a sealed set of plans from an engineer.

Advertisement

Aggie67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2009, 11:20 AM   #3
Remodeling Contractor

Rewards Points: 2,000

best not to notch them. use carriage bolts to surround the posts with your beam and run the 2X10 on top of the beam.
Bob Mariani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2009, 11:47 AM   #4
Old School

Location: St. Petersburg, FL Minds of moderate caliber ordinarily condemn everything which is beyond them.
Rewards Points: 2,000

Fist problem area you will be creating is "cementing" the columns into the ground. Don't do it. Water rot is going to eventually get you.
Willie T is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
6x6 , building deck , deck , decking , double deck