Forums | Home Repair | Home Improvement | Painting | Interior Decorating | Remodeling | Landscaping

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 10-19-2006, 02:57 PM   #1

Share |
Question

Double glazed doors

Does anyone know the recommended maximum sizes for double glazed doors. We have a large wooden outside door thats past it's best but i'm not sure that a double glazed unit will be strong enough for the size
36" w X 84" h.
Cheers
Big Al is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2006, 06:24 PM   #2
fhi vinyl windows

Double glazed doors

I will assume that you are looking a non-commercial door? If so, you can get a 36x84, the unit size with frame will be around 37.5x85.5 +/-. Most of the glass that you order will be double pane.
fhivinylwindows is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2006, 02:35 PM   #3

Question

Double glazed doors

Thanks for the reply, it's a house door but my thought is that a UPVC door wouldn't last long that size. Not sure about the aluminium doors either and wondered whether going back to wood was the best bet.
What do you think?
Old 10-21-2006, 03:44 PM   #4
fhi vinyl windows

Double glazed doors

Fiberglass doors last a long time. Get a jamb(frame) with "jamb saver" or a similar product so water does not enter the lower part of the jamb and rot the door.
fhivinylwindows is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2006, 09:54 PM   #5
remodeling pro

Double glazed doors

No problem with that size, although the 84 inch unit will probably have to be ordered, since most "stock " units will be 80 inches. Stay away from another wood door, unless it is well sheltered under a porch. The fiberglass doors are great, much better tha the steel ones because they don't blister and rust out along the bottom edge after a few years. Also for about 30 bucks more you can get the unit with a rot proof piece of composite finger jointed at the bottom, where the jambs attach to the threshold. Some manufacturers offer jambs of solid pvc, but I find them a pain to install, because the pvc is so flexible that it has to be shimmed about every 8 to 10 inches to hold it straight.
troubleseeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2006, 02:31 PM   #6

Double glazed doors

I must admit i wasn't expecting those responses, I really thought UPVC doors would be too flimsy at that size, so thanks for that information. Which i'm happy about actually, because I reckon there is better choice of design and finish with UPVC. thanks a lot,

Allan
Old 04-19-2008, 06:09 PM   #7

Double glazed doors

Could any body tell me how to take out the glass beeding on a upvc door,its so I can toe and heal the door,thanks Pete.
PETER KENNEDY is offline   Reply With Quote