Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Closed Thread

Old 11-24-2008, 11:52 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 0
Share |

Double Framing on old Garage?

I have an old garage built back in the 20's that has seen better days. The roof and sides are of tin, with the exposed framing inside. It is built on a slab. When it was built, the supports went directly into the slab, and of course, you guessed it, major (old) termite damage. Basically, it is now a free standing structure, with the framing and supports all but eaten up by termites. To completely rebuild, would take more time than I am able give at this time. Living down here in Florida, all it would take would be a minimal hurricane to blow it down.

Here's the question

Would it be possible to build secondary framing inside the garage, using P'T' lumber, and bolting the base of the framing (walls) to the slab, and then fastening the top to the roof rafter? I have the garage full of stuff right now, and by doing it this way, I could work on one side at a time, and just re-locate all the junk when its time to work on the other side(s). The roof rafters seem to be quite solid, with no termite damage. I am just trying to bolster the structure, without changing the outside appearance. Is this do-able, and if so, can you make any recommendations as to what would be the best method?

Thanks guys!

Bofus

Old 11-25-2008, 05:36 AM   #2
BUILDER / REMODELING CONT

yes its do able!. Build a temp wall inside under the ceiling beams, taking pressure off the wall and at the same time taking out any dips in it. then cut your bottom studs install and fasten your bottom sill plate, and then install your and nail your studs along side the existing ones., BOB

Old 04-12-2010, 08:27 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by bofusmosby View Post
I have an old garage built back in the 20's that has seen better days. The roof and sides are of tin, with the exposed framing inside. It is built on a slab. When it was built, the supports went directly into the slab, and of course, you guessed it, major (old) termite damage. Basically, it is now a free standing structure, with the framing and supports all but eaten up by termites. To completely rebuild, would take more time than I am able give at this time. Living down here in Florida, all it would take would be a minimal hurricane to blow it down.

Here's the question

Would it be possible to build secondary framing inside the garage, using P'T' lumber, and bolting the base of the framing (walls) to the slab, and then fastening the top to the roof rafter? I have the garage full of stuff right now, and by doing it this way, I could work on one side at a time, and just re-locate all the junk when its time to work on the other side(s). The roof rafters seem to be quite solid, with no termite damage. I am just trying to bolster the structure, without changing the outside appearance. Is this do-able, and if so, can you make any recommendations as to what would be the best method?

Thanks guys!

Bofus
Hey Bofus, I know this is an old post, but I am getting ready to try and save an old garage myself that sounds like it is in similar condition as yours was. I was just wondering how this went? Were you able to save it? I really don't have a desire to spend $20 or $30K on a new garage so I am going to attempt to revive mine as well. Any pointers? Thanks in advance for any help.

~Soonerfan
Old 04-12-2010, 05:32 PM   #4

I wish I had some words of advice, but with me, other thing came up, and I am still waiting to do this. I believe it will work, its just making the time to accomplish this task. I am planning to attacking this problem within the next several months. It'l be a lot cheaper than replacing it, thats for sure.

Let me know how yours turns out.

jim
Old 04-12-2010, 06:59 PM   #5

Whatever you do, run it by the local Building Department first. To add another wall may need engineering at the slab/plate, slab/lack of footing, top plate/rafter, top plate/old plate connections to be minimally safe per code.

Be safe, Gary
Old 04-12-2010, 08:08 PM   #6

At this stage of the game, I definately will NOT be running it by the local building dept. As the garage stands right now, it could only be an improvement to what is already there. If I got them involved, they'd probably make me tear it down. This, I will not let happen. All I plan on doing is building secondary walls to help support the roof. All lumber will be pressure-treated, to eliminate the termite problems in the future. All the support posts rotted away decades ago. Its just free-standing on its own sides. The slab is about 6" thick, so I'll be fastening the sole plate to the slab, then building the walls to support the rafters. The wood on the top half of the garage is in good shape, its just the lower supports that are bad.

As far as code-enforcement goes, I will tell them nothing. These are the same people (idiots) that gave me 2 weeks to scrape and paint my house (very large 2 story house). I am doing a complete restoration, not just simply painting it. My garage is in my back yard, so this is of no concern to them. I am sure that code enforcement is necessary at times, but when they attack someone who is doing everything they can to bring back a blighted neighborhood, and do it with a Nazi SS mentality, well........I think you see my point. I finally met up with someone with the local code enforement who has a brain. Now, they just leave me alone. If they start bothering me again, then I'll immediately demand a hearing before a judge. I document EVERYTHING I am doing with my house. They will look like fools when I am done with them.

Sorry GBR, as you can see, you hit on a sore subject with me. I know you mean well, and I didn't mean to be so confrontational with your ideas. I just don't want to give anyone half a chance to complain about something I am doing. I appreciate the recommendations, and I'll be sure that any ideas I have, I run them by someone who knows what to, and what not to do.
Old 04-12-2010, 09:08 PM   #7

And this is what leads to bigger problems, usually for the next homeowner

Closed Thread