DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

Double floor joists

6K views 3 replies 3 participants last post by  steveel 
#1 ·
I am in the process of a kitchen repair for a bearing wall that was removed before we bought the house. The repair requires a new header to be placed in the ceiling from which the joists will be hung. On end of the header will sit on the top plate of an exterior wall with double studs sitting directly beneath. The other end will sit on an interior wall. The original wall ended in a floor to ceiling post. Where the post used to be is now a pass through. The pass through has a header, king, and jack studs. So, where originally there was only one point of loading on the floor joists beneath, there is now 2
The wall with the pass through rests on 2 - 2x6 floor joists which are spaced about 1 ½” apart. These joists as well as the other floor joists rest on 4x6 beams that run perpendicular to them. At the point where apparently the original wall ended, it rested on the 2 2x6 joists. There are no piers / posts underneath the joists and no evidence that there ever was.
In the attic directly above the wall with the pass through, a strut that supports the roof rests on the top plate. This appears to be the only source of loading on the pass through wall.
My question – does it appear necessary to pour concrete piers directly underneath the jack studs or is there sufficient support with the double joists and beam system?

See less See more
#2 ·
Sounds very iffy to me. Contact a structural engineer for advice and take full liability. You need full bearing to the beam below, and recalculate the new point loads which have changed locations. The header needs to tie to both walls for shear flow, possibly with strut straps or flat straps. The interior wall may need to be sheared for exterior wall forces with OSB or ply as sheathing. No mention of header size or loads above, not required as you need a paper trail from S.E. and permit for H.O.Insurance coverage just in case....

Gary

#3 ·
a little more background

Thanks for the quick reply. Just in case there is a lack of clarity in my description, I attached two sketches. I guess for me my confusion is over the weight that the floor joists had to bear in the original configuration vs the current configuration. Where there was 1 point taking the weight of the roof down to the double joists, that same weight is now carried by 2 points or in my estimation, half the weight each.
I realize that updated codes probably require changes. Anyway, not arguing, just trying to paint a clearer picture of what I have.

Attachments

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.