Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 12-14-2009, 02:48 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 150

Double Door Alignment Advice Needed

I have a door fit and alighnment issue.

I’m a long term tenant who lives in an 80 year old apartment which is undergoing renovation.

One renovation is installing a pair of double interior French Doors which were original to this apartment layout. The pair of doors were salvaged from a similar apartment in the building. The workers installed it and it closes OK, however there are alignment problems, please see the attached photos.

-There’s a 1/2”wide space between the two doors at the bottom (the doors touch at the top)
-Less of an issue, but still a concern, is one door is ‘out of plane ‘ by 1/4” at the bottom., that is to say they do not close absolutely flush.

Is there a way to adjust the mounting to get them to align perfectly?
Or, is some wood working on the doors needed to get them to match and close tightly and appear perfectly aligned ? Each door has two hinges.

I’m open to suggestions and looking for the most expedient method to correct this. I'd really like to keep these doors and have them well fitted. If I can get them to align, I'll strip them and scrap the paint of the glass, then do a nice repaint on them. The layout of the apartment is such that the French doors bring natural light to the foyer located in the apartment's center. It was a struggle to score the doors and I REALLY want to fit them.

Any help is greaty appreciated!
Attached Thumbnails
Double Door Alignment Advice Needed-french-door-1.jpg   Double Door Alignment Advice Needed-french-door-2.jpg   Double Door Alignment Advice Needed-french-door-3.jpg   Double Door Alignment Advice Needed-french-door-4.jpg   Double Door Alignment Advice Needed-french-door-5.jpg  

Double Door Alignment Advice Needed-french-door-6.jpg  

Lovegasoline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2009, 04:14 PM   #2
Pro

Rewards Points: 25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lovegasoline View Post
I have a door fit and alighnment issue.

I’m a long term tenant who lives in an 80 year old apartment which is undergoing renovation.

One renovation is installing a pair of double interior French Doors which were original to this apartment layout. The pair of doors were salvaged from a similar apartment in the building. The workers installed it and it closes OK, however there are alignment problems, please see the attached photos.

-There’s a 1/2”wide space between the two doors at the bottom (the doors touch at the top)
-Less of an issue, but still a concern, is one door is ‘out of plane ‘ by 1/4” at the bottom., that is to say they do not close absolutely flush.

Is there a way to adjust the mounting to get them to align perfectly?
Or, is some wood working on the doors needed to get them to match and close tightly and appear perfectly aligned ? Each door has two hinges.

I’m open to suggestions and looking for the most expedient method to correct this. I'd really like to keep these doors and have them well fitted. If I can get them to align, I'll strip them and scrap the paint of the glass, then do a nice repaint on them. The layout of the apartment is such that the French doors bring natural light to the foyer located in the apartment's center. It was a struggle to score the doors and I REALLY want to fit them.

Any help is greaty appreciated!
it doesn't look too bad and should be easy enough to adjust. i'd recommend removing the doors, scraping/sanding them, and installing 3 new hinges per door. two would go in the original location, and an extra hinge would be place in the middle.

there's so much paint build-up on these doors, that any adjustment you make now will have to be tweaked once you re-finish them.

it does however look like the door jamb itself is set slightly out of square, meaning that the legs aren't square to the head. it doesn't look like it's too far out, so you'll likely be able to make up the difference by playing with the hinges.

best course of action, however, to adjust the legs/head.

ClemS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2009, 11:14 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 1,002

LG,
In addition to what Clem said, make sure you put a longer screw in each hinge to provide more support and anchor it to the rough stud. Those doors look like they have a little weight to them. I use 3" screws for this.
Mike Hawkins
firehawkmph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2009, 01:00 AM   #4

Rewards Points: 150

Thanks for the replies.

The guy who hung the door (a general worker) said the door doesn’t fit and he said his boss suggested he put some molding on the edge where it closes to fill the gap…this sounds like s chump solution.

Clem, when you suggest ‘playing with the hinges’…I’m not clear what sort of adjustment is suggested here: do what with the hinges??? I have no clue.

I'm not familiar with the terms 'leg and head'. Are these parts of the door frame? Are you suggesting rebuilding the frame?

BTW, yes the doors are HEAVY.
Lovegasoline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2009, 01:10 AM   #5
nap
You talking to me?

Rewards Points: 2,000

the leg is the side of the frame and the head is the top of the frame.

the doors being out of plane: are they warped in a way that would cause that?

btw; you put molding around the frame to cover a gap that is there on every framed door. That gap is where you would place the shims to plumb, level, and square the frame.

If it were me, I would remove the frame and start over. It looks like the frame on the left is bowed in in the middle so if you put a 3rd hinge on that door, you will have problems.
nap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2009, 07:38 AM   #6
Pro

Rewards Points: 25

most doors are hung on frames. frame being the flat wood piece that the door stop is nailed to, and the hinges are screwed to. legs are the sides, head is the top.

on double doors like these, it's crucial to have the frame perfectly square. in a perfect world, the head would be level and the legs plumb and straight.

hinges could be tweaked to shift the door around. in your pictures, if you take the right side door, lower hinge, back the screws out of the jamb and put a shim behind the hinge - the bottom of the door will shift toward the middle of the opening, also raising the top-left corner of the door (looks like it wants to go that way to even out the reveals).

but like i said before, the door, and preferably the jamb should be cleaned up.
ClemS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2009, 02:32 PM   #7

Rewards Points: 2,000

Help adding hinges: http://books.google.com/books?id=pnq...0doors&f=false
Try tweaking the hinges first as ClemS said and if that isn't enough to close them (touching equally along the closing edge) properly -adjust the jambs- forward or away from you, to sit closed properly. May have to remove it all and cross string - from top right to bottom left, etc. as the wall may not line up in the same plane.

Be safe, Gary