Double Decker Deck - Building & Construction - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 05-10-2012, 02:39 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10
Question

Double Decker Deck

Hi all -
I have been planning to build a freestanding 10' x 10' two-floor deck. The oddity is, that it needs to be at least 15' high on the top level. The 1st floor would be around 5'.
The bottom level would be a small tiki bar and the top level directly above would be an observation deck.
Could I build the 5' high deck 1st and then build another 10' on top of that, or should I use continuous 6x6 posts?

Advertisement

poconut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2012, 03:01 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 500

Double Decker Deck

There was a recent post asking more or less the same question. Decks cannot easily be built in platform fashion. Use continuous posts.

Advertisement

cortell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2012, 03:05 PM   #3

Double Decker Deck

Found it...
two-story deck design question
cortell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2012, 03:16 PM   #4

Double Decker Deck

Quote:
Originally Posted by cortell View Post
Thanks.
Old 05-10-2012, 04:54 PM   #5
Civil Engineer

Rewards Points: 2,172

Double Decker Deck

Two story decks are not covered in the International Residential Code. You can certainly build one, but to get a permit would likely require an engineer. Or perhaps you don't need a permit where you live? Or maybe the code where you are covers two story decks.

Design is more complex than a single level deck for several reasons, including buckling of the columns, and the need for more lateral bracing than on a single story deck.
Daniel Holzman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2012, 06:46 PM   #6

Double Decker Deck

So the design would be more like that of a tower, if I get what you are saying?
In my area I would call this deck a landscaping enhancement rather than a structure, so no permit would be required. Also, due to the footprint being less than 200 sq ft, it also qualifies as a non-permit structure. Maximum height for accessory buildings is 15' in my zoning area, so I hit the limit there too.

Last edited by poconut; 05-10-2012 at 06:48 PM.
Old 05-10-2012, 07:04 PM   #7
Residential Designer

Rewards Points: 550
Send a message via Skype™ to AndyGump

Double Decker Deck

If you are planning to put railing on the top deck (and I really hope you are) then it will be over the 15' you stated.

Good luck to you and I hope no one is killed or maimed on your deck.

Andy.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to AndyGump For This Useful Post:
jaydevries (05-10-2012), kwikfishron (05-10-2012)
Old 05-10-2012, 07:45 PM   #8

Double Decker Deck

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyGump View Post
If you are planning to put railing on the top deck (and I really hope you are) then it will be over the 15' you stated.

Good luck to you and I hope no one is killed or maimed on your deck.

Andy.
Wow Andy, such happy thoughts ...

You bring up a good point about the rail height though, and yes of course it will have railing ... but I need to see how that plays into the zoning ordinance for height, that could be a show stopper.
Old 05-10-2012, 08:05 PM   #9

Double Decker Deck

Quote:
Originally Posted by poconut View Post
Wow Andy, such happy thoughts ...

You bring up a good point about the rail height though, and yes of course it will have railing ... but I need to see how that plays into the zoning ordinance for height, that could be a show stopper.
Why do people want to avoid permits so bad? If you can't afford the permit and possible raise in taxes then don't do the project. If you don't want an experienced inspector checking you work then don't do the project. Get the permit or don't do the project, stop trying to skirt the law you just it up for everyone else.
robertcdf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2012, 09:34 PM   #10

Double Decker Deck

Quote:
Originally Posted by robertcdf View Post
Why do people want to avoid permits so bad? If you can't afford the permit and possible raise in taxes then don't do the project.
I think I pay quite enough taxes and township/county fees as it is, regardless ... this type of project would not raise my taxes - and technically, so far - it does not require a permit you !

Quote:
If you don't want an experienced inspector checking you work then don't do the project. Get the permit or don't do the project, stop trying to skirt the law you just it up for everyone else.
I drink with the inspector. He's a friend (and will probably be also helping with the construction!). The township supervisor, he's a friend too. If I wanted a permit or variance for ANYTHING I can get it ... what's the point. I don't pull favors. I would never do -up work or inferior design in anything I do - and I always try to "somewhat" stay within the bounds of the zoning ordinances. I am on here for advice from someone who has possibly done a similar project, not to be ridiculed by some little like you. Thanks for nothing!

Advertisement

Last edited by poconut; 05-10-2012 at 09:37 PM. Reason: needed more censored words!