Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 11-22-2007, 05:10 PM   #1
newer than a newbie...

Share |

double car garage slightly uneven...

Hi There.

This is a question of general advice I would need relating to our double garage. I haven't had a lot of time to work on this this past summer, but troubles have already come up, regarding the way melting snow travels 'out' of the garage and in what direction. We had our first major snowfall today!

Basically, to describe the garage, if you are driving in, the left door is manual and no cars can park there because previous owners built stairs into the house on the left side, making it impossible to park a small to full sized car there.

If you drive in, you can only park on the right door which is automatic.

Basically, everything is designed correct, in that if you had water running from the inside of the garage, it would flow outside...(and not into the house foundation). The problem is, where we park the car (the garden hose is actually in the garage too), there is a slant in that the water flows out of the house, but in the direction of the LEFT garage door. So the left side must be lower. This causes issues because we have things stored on that side and it just makes a mess! In the winter, the snow stuck on the hubcaps melts overnight and creates a slushy mess on the left side of the garage.

What I need to do is find a way to create a barrier or something so that the melting snow or water will be diverted to flow right behind the car and into perhaps a little hole that I create at the base of the garage door.

Does anyone have any suggestions on how to do this? I was thinking of putting a piece of vapour barrier to somehow divert this water, but I didn't want it to be an eye soar or something that anyone could trip over - how would I bolt it down?.

I can take a picture if anyone has any thoughts. Thank you in advance!

mcvane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2007, 05:24 PM   #2
Extreme DIY'r Adk's, NY

you could certainly build a curb out of pressure treated or something but in order for it to function it would have to be permanent and it would become a trip hazard. I would lock it down with construction adhesive and a couple Hilte nails then after a day or two to set mold it in with some hydraulic cement. Then paint the top orange so people can see it. You may find it only needs to go half way into the bay. good luck

crecore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2007, 10:18 PM   #3

Take a saw and cut 1/8" grooves in the floor from back to front. When the water flows from one side to the other, it will hit the grooves and follow the path out the front door.
Place as many grooves as you need. Place the pattern where you think it will do the most good.
Ron
Ron6519 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2007, 08:41 PM   #4
remodeling pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron6519 View Post
Take a saw and cut 1/8" grooves in the floor from back to front. When the water flows from one side to the other, it will hit the grooves and follow the path out the front door.
Place as many grooves as you need. Place the pattern where you think it will do the most good.
Ron
Good suggestion . Creating one or more mini vesions of a "french drain" is certainly less obtrusive than anything that could be adhered to the surface of the floor. They can be cut at an angle or turned at the end to direct the water wherever you want to create an exit, even into a small drain trough carved into the concrete under the closed garage door.
troubleseeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2007, 08:46 PM   #5
Extreme DIY'r Adk's, NY

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron6519 View Post
Ron
Yes, this is actually better and easier than my idea. I'm so tired with all of my projects I dont even know why I am bothering to try to post right now.
crecore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2007, 09:39 AM   #6
newer than a newbie...

Thank you all - I really, really like the grove suggestion!!

So basically, are you saying the depth of the cut should be about 1/8 " and almost a continuous straight line, from the middle of the garage to the door where the water can flow? Or should it be lots of mini 1/8" groves that will help direct the water out?

Also, since you probably guessed my fllor is concrete, what kind of saw can I use to make the cut? I don't necessarily want to spent a lot on a power saw if there is a manual option.

But your suggestions are great!

Thanks
mcvane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2007, 08:41 AM   #7

The groove or grooves should be continuous from front to back. The number of grooves you need will depend on the volume of water that you're moving. I would keep them separated by an inch or so. You want the groove continuous so you have a consistant path to where you want it to go.
A regular circular saw with a metal masonary blade will work. Have a partner there with a shop vac to keep down the dust. Have decent dust masks and eye protection.
Ron

Ron6519 is offline   Reply With Quote