Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 02-12-2007, 06:10 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

dormer window insulation

Hi

There are dormer windows on my father's house, which was originally a bungalow.

The construction was 'traditional' with rafters running from steel beams near the ridge to the window line. Chipboard decking was then fitted and 2 layers of felt stuck on top. Before the builder put on the fascia I actually squashed in fibreglass insulation into the gaps, trying to get as much in as I could. I worked on the principle : the more insulation the better.

Well, that was about 20 years ago and the roof has now started to leak. On inspection, the board in 2 spots seems spongy, so obviously it is time for the full replacement.

Not a cheap job, but worthy I am sure

On checking web sites, it seems that you are supposed to have a 50mm gap on top of the insulation, for ventilation to prevent condensation.

Now to be perfectly honest, this was not done before and there has never been a condensation problem so far.

Any advice would be appreciated, as obviously I want the job to be done right, coupled to it being economically the best option, with regards to insulation.

If jamming ther insulation in worked before, surely it would work again.

Do you need a waterproof membrane, there wasn't one before

Many thanks

wlm-21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2007, 12:33 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 1,000

dormer window insulation

How thick are the rafters? (6,8,10...inches)

redline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2007, 05:04 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 10

dormer window insulation

Quote:
Originally Posted by redline View Post
How thick are the rafters? (6,8,10...inches)
I think they were 8 inches, with firring pieces on top, from a few mm to about 50mm
wlm-21 is offline   Reply With Quote