Doorway Though Brick Wall. - Building & Construction - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 01-11-2007, 12:07 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Doorway though brick wall.

I am literally stuck in between a rock and a hard place.

The house I own has two powder rooms and no shower.

Both powder rooms are surrounded on all sides by load bearing interior and exterior brick walls. Both have a door and a window (in brick).
I have no other sensible (non-screwed up) options at my disposal regarding a full bathroom aside from removing 32"-36" of load bearing brick wall from the first floor powder room to break into the kitchen to steal room from it for a shower. There is one floor above it.
How much would it cost to break through that wall and put a lintel in. I basically need to know Ball park estimate.... $500, $1000, $2000, $5000, $10,000?

I do not believe there are any utilites or anything going through it.

The only other option is to partition the bathroom in two through the doorway, and pretty much reduce any living room space I have to near nothing; or do the same thing on the second floor and everyone would have to travel through someone elses bedroom to get to the full bath.

Advertisement

archangel689 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2007, 01:02 PM   #2
Contractor

Rewards Points: 79

Quote:
Originally Posted by archangel689 View Post
I am literally stuck in between a rock and a hard place.

The house I own has two powder rooms and no shower.

Both powder rooms are surrounded on all sides by load bearing interior and exterior brick walls. Both have a door and a window (in brick).
I have no other sensible (non-screwed up) options at my disposal regarding a full bathroom aside from removing 32"-36" of load bearing brick wall from the first floor powder room to break into the kitchen to steal room from it for a shower. There is one floor above it.
How much would it cost to break through that wall and put a lintel in. I basically need to know Ball park estimate.... $500, $1000, $2000, $5000, $10,000?

I do not believe there are any utilites or anything going through it.

The only other option is to partition the bathroom in two through the doorway, and pretty much reduce any living room space I have to near nothing; or do the same thing on the second floor and everyone would have to travel through someone elses bedroom to get to the full bath.
Before one can give you an estimate we need to know if you plan on DIY or hiring a pro. If you plan on hiring a pro, would need to know where you located to get the going rate in your area.

Advertisement

Brickie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2007, 01:22 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brickie View Post
Before one can give you an estimate we need to know if you plan on DIY or hiring a pro. If you plan on hiring a pro, would need to know where you located to get the going rate in your area.
Pittsburgh, pa and hire a contractor.

Last edited by archangel689; 01-11-2007 at 01:26 PM.
archangel689 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2007, 10:23 AM   #4

Sorry, quick OT here:

Anyone know (generall) the space allowance for a residential bath (lav/toilet- like a powder room I guess) concerning minimum allowable space? I'm in RI by the way...

Thanks, and again, pardon the interruption. I need to know...
Roger the Carpenter is offline   Reply With Quote