DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

Doorway though brick wall.

5K views 3 replies 3 participants last post by  Roger the Carpenter 
#1 ·
I am literally stuck in between a rock and a hard place.

The house I own has two powder rooms and no shower.

Both powder rooms are surrounded on all sides by load bearing interior and exterior brick walls. Both have a door and a window (in brick).
I have no other sensible (non-screwed up) options at my disposal regarding a full bathroom aside from removing 32"-36" of load bearing brick wall from the first floor powder room to break into the kitchen to steal room from it for a shower. There is one floor above it.
How much would it cost to break through that wall and put a lintel in. I basically need to know Ball park estimate.... $500, $1000, $2000, $5000, $10,000?

I do not believe there are any utilites or anything going through it.

The only other option is to partition the bathroom in two through the doorway, and pretty much reduce any living room space I have to near nothing; or do the same thing on the second floor and everyone would have to travel through someone elses bedroom to get to the full bath.

See less See more
#2 ·
I am literally stuck in between a rock and a hard place.

The house I own has two powder rooms and no shower.

Both powder rooms are surrounded on all sides by load bearing interior and exterior brick walls. Both have a door and a window (in brick).
I have no other sensible (non-screwed up) options at my disposal regarding a full bathroom aside from removing 32"-36" of load bearing brick wall from the first floor powder room to break into the kitchen to steal room from it for a shower. There is one floor above it.
How much would it cost to break through that wall and put a lintel in. I basically need to know Ball park estimate.... $500, $1000, $2000, $5000, $10,000?

I do not believe there are any utilites or anything going through it.

The only other option is to partition the bathroom in two through the doorway, and pretty much reduce any living room space I have to near nothing; or do the same thing on the second floor and everyone would have to travel through someone elses bedroom to get to the full bath.
Before one can give you an estimate we need to know if you plan on DIY or hiring a pro. If you plan on hiring a pro, would need to know where you located to get the going rate in your area.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.