Doors - Building & Construction - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 02-02-2013, 10:06 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Doors

My front door is in the closed postition. The door knob is locked and we cannot get it unlocked. We can get the knob to turn partially but not all the way. We have tried taking the knob off and manually working with the inside of the set, but cannot seem to get it to budge.

Advertisement

sambola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 10:54 AM   #2

Doors

I run in to this all the time at my job. Your door has settled and the knob latch is binding in to the strike. You need to get the door raised by adding a lag screw in the top hinge. For now lift the door by pulling at a upward angle on the knob. The other thing it could be if it is a kwikset you might have a frozen latch in which case your gonna have to pull the knob and get a scribe to pull in the actual lip.

Advertisement

SoCoSpartan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 12:18 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 524

Doors

How old is the knob set. Sometimes these things fail to the point they can not move as something gets so out of wack that it gets hung up. Most times doing what you did, removing the handle/knob, will allow you to get it open. I have had some where I had to use a sawzall to cut the offending part between the door and the door jamb. Of course this requires replacing the lockset.
danpik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 12:28 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 508

Doors

I would just pull the hinge pins and remove the door, replace lock set if needed or might just need to be adjusted by adding a 3" screw in top hinge.
Really need to get the door open first.
woodworkbykirk (02-02-2013)
Old 02-02-2013, 01:30 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 572

Doors

A lag bolt
joecaption is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 11:39 PM   #6

Doors

I did not say a lag bolt. A lag screw or a 3" exterior grade screw if you prefer smart guy.

Advertisement

SoCoSpartan is offline   Reply With Quote