Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 06-17-2008, 01:45 PM   #1

Share |

Door for a shed

I am building an 8x8 garden shed and want to put a sturdy and wide dorr on it. Last shed I built had tongue and groove cedar panels for the door, but it was pretty susceptible flexing and to expansion and contraction.

While at HD the other day I noticed that the sheds they had on display were made with a metal frame. It made them extremly rigid. Anyone know where to get something like that?

TexasEd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2008, 11:20 PM   #2

Door for a shed

Hey Texas, the door I built on my shed a few years ago is a little flexible. But check out the June edition of "The Family Handyman" mag, page 14. They show a shed with a sliding door that eliminates all that sagging and flexing. They recommend using closet door hardware, or if the door will be heavier than that, track down barn door hardware. I wish I had of read that when I built my shed.

Kelly
www.icanfixupmyhome.com

Chagres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2008, 12:23 PM   #3

Door for a shed

I was at the Habitat for Humanity restore yesterday and they had pocket doors that gave me that idea to have doors that slide open.

The problem is the side of the shed with the door will be 8' wide and that limits the size of the door opening to about 3 feet once you account for the side wall framing and that you have to have room for the door to slide behind.

I was thinking of a single 4' wide door or double doors of 2'6" each for a 5' opening. The single door is the one that would need the rigidity.
TexasEd is offline   Reply With Quote