Forums | Home Repair | Home Improvement | Painting | Interior Decorating | Remodeling | Landscaping

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 09-08-2010, 03:32 PM   #1

Share |

Door recommendations from basement to garage

Hi everyone, my first post here so I apologize if this is in the wrong section. Mods, please move if it is.

I bought a house a couple months ago and getting around to some of the improvements that are needed. The door from my basement to the garage is a wood door that seems to be a thick piece of wood cut into a door size, as in not really meant to be used for a door. I would like to replace it with a metal door for more security (also with a deadbolt). Where would I find a door to use? It would need to be a custom size. I have checked Lowes and Home Depot online and I did not see anything, perhaps I missed it though. I searched 'door' in all the forums and didn't see any similar questions.

Below is what was noted by the inspector prior to purchasing the home:
The entry door from the garage should be replaced with a metal or solid core wood door with a self -closing device. The entry door should also be fitted with a tight fitting gasket, so that the smoke and vapors canít seep into the home in the event of a garage fire. This should be done as fire safety measure.
Tyrus3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2010, 03:36 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyrus3 View Post
Hi everyone, my first post here so I apologize if this is in the wrong section. Mods, please move if it is.

I bought a house a couple months ago and getting around to some of the improvements that are needed. The door from my basement to the garage is a wood door that seems to be a thick piece of wood cut into a door size, as in not really meant to be used for a door. I would like to replace it with a metal door for more security (also with a deadbolt). Where would I find a door to use? It would need to be a custom size. I have checked Lowes and Home Depot online and I did not see anything, perhaps I missed it though. I searched 'door' in all the forums and didn't see any similar questions.

Below is what was noted by the inspector prior to purchasing the home:
The entry door from the garage should be replaced with a metal or solid core wood door with a self -closing device. The entry door should also be fitted with a tight fitting gasket, so that the smoke and vapors canít seep into the home in the event of a garage fire. This should be done as fire safety measure.
You need to go to home depot and order the door. Get one with the frame. They have a fire rating and come with the self closing hinges. You wont find much on their site.
amdspitfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2010, 03:41 PM   #3

Great, thank you!

edit, should I take the old door or measure it? I would like it to fit as snugly as possible to keep the garage smells out of the basement.
Tyrus3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2010, 10:02 PM   #4
Concrete & Masonry

If it's going into a masonry or concrete opening, a hollow metal door may be a great, viable option as well. Far more secure than any metal clad door & frame, excellent fire rating and somewhat custom sizes.

The cons are that it may be more expensive, and hollow metal door dealers can e hard to come by in some markets.
jomama45 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2012, 07:42 AM   #5

Far better and cheaper if possible to frame the wall and just buy a standard door. With out a picture of what you have it's hard to make suggestions.
joecaption is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2012, 05:01 PM   #6
In a little over my head

I'm with Joe. What is the wall made of? Framing or block? How large is the rough opening? Hopefully, the existing RO is larger than standard, so you can just frame inside it and install a pre-hung door.
ratherbefishing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2012, 07:19 AM   #7

Hi Tyrus3,

I think you'll find this article useful on garage doors http://www.getproquotes.co.uk/prices...oor-prices.php
jackline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2012, 08:12 AM   #8
Residential Designer

Send a message via Skype™ to AndyGump

Looks like you guys are about a year and a half late to this party.

Andy.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
AndyGump is offline   Reply With Quote