Door Problems In Cold Weather - Building & Construction - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 01-20-2011, 10:26 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Door Problems in Cold Weather

Hello,
I live in NYC in an apartment in a building that is estimated to be built around 1920 and i am currently have a problem with regular building maintenance by the landlord i think (if thats my problem). Every winter with cold weather, the front door becomes unaligned (i think) since its very hard to open and close the door. The door does not match up with the other door, like its stuck. During the summer the door is fine and there no issues with it. Could the cold weather affect the wooden structure holding up the door? I dont have my digital camera on hand at the moment so i made a quick drawing of the way how my door is. There is a single deadbolt lock on the door, here is a similar lock that on the door: http://www.homedepot.com/Tools-Hardw...atalogId=10053

Can anyone clue me in on whats causing the door to get stuck in cold weather so i can possible talk to the landlord getting it fixed. Last year look broke due to wear and tear and i had to replace it at my cost with a locksmith and the locksmith told me that the the door lock is the not the right kind for these type of doors. Hopefully i still have that bill with that writing on it
Attached Images

Advertisement

Last edited by coldnyc347; 01-20-2011 at 10:28 AM.
coldnyc347 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2011, 01:31 PM   #2
Master General ReEngineer

Rewards Points: 2,300

Quote:
During the summer the door is fine and there no issues with it. Could the cold weather affect the wooden structure holding up the door?
Ayuh,... It's Frost Heaving,...
Probably not much can be done about it, except wait for warmer weather...

Advertisement

Bondo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2011, 02:23 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 2,000

I'm confused by the post.
Is this door in an apartment building, in doors, away from the weather?
What is this door made out of? Wood? Metal?
Is the door painted on top and bottom?
Is there a label on the door or frame that indicates this is a fire door(possibly painted over)?
The locksmith said this was the wrong lock for the door. Is this an interior door? You would check by measuring how thick it is. Exterior doors are 1 3/4" thick. Interior doors are 1 3/8".
Ron
Ron6519 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2011, 03:32 PM   #4

Its a wooden external door with glass in the middle thats used to enter and leave the building so it will always be affected by the weather the door for my apartment is different then this door. Door is painted in some beige color, however i dont think its an paint issue since the landlord repainted the door before i moved in
coldnyc347 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2011, 04:06 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 2,000

Quote:
Originally Posted by coldnyc347 View Post
Its a wooden external door with glass in the middle thats used to enter and leave the building so it will always be affected by the weather the door for my apartment is different then this door. Door is painted in some beige color, however i dont think its an paint issue since the landlord repainted the door before i moved in
Still confused.
Which door had the lock replaced? If it was the common door, why did you pay for it?
There could be ice getting in under the sill and/or behind the frame and freezing, distorting the sill or frame. Throw down ice melt in front of the frame.
Ron
Ron6519 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2011, 05:24 PM   #6
Luxury Mahogany Doors

Sounds like the doors are expanding. Are they wood doors? If so, what kind of wood pine, oak, cedar, mahogany, etc...?

Pine is real bad about expanding!

Advertisement

DecoDesignCente is offline   Reply With Quote