Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 02-07-2006, 12:26 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Door problems

The door on my master bedroom does not wants to stay fully open it goes back half way close. This problem has been going on since I moved in 3 yrs ago, what I do is put a shoe to stop the door from closing half way, but sometimes the shoe is mine so I have to remove it and there goes the door. This is the only door that is doing this, all others work fine. Could this mean foundation problem, or just frame problem? how can I fix this? Thanks for your help.

jorguez1167 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2006, 01:17 PM   #2
Average Guy

Door problems

If the top hinge is loose (probably the screws on the jamb), the door will swing open. If the bottom hinge is loose, the door will swing close. I would try checking all the hinge screws and make sure they are tight.

Good luck,

Average Guy
http://www.averageguydiy.com

mcruickshank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2006, 09:57 PM   #3

Door problems

Would your wife mind if you used her shoe?
tedn332 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2006, 12:35 AM   #4

Rewards Points: 250

Door problems

I'm reasonably certain your door is out of plumb. Probably hung that way from the start. Possibly your framed wall was out. Could try plumbing your door but you would probably have to take the caseings off. Could try putting the hinges in a bind. Couple of ways to do that but for me to suggest something I would have to see it. Trial and error works well. HS><P>

If you want to see how a door is self swinging go grab a prehung at the depot and stand it up. Move it back and forth, side to side, and youl see why yours is self closing. HS..

Last edited by K2eoj; 02-08-2006 at 12:40 AM.
K2eoj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2006, 09:50 PM   #5
Contractor

Rewards Points: 500

Door problems

HS got it! Get a level, open the door to 90* and see how far it is out. Close the door and check the gap at the bottom, this is how far in you can move the bottom hinge. Start with the top hinge. Remove all of the screws, plumb the door (fully open, 90*) with the level. Measure the distance from where the hinge used to be and where it is when plumb. Waiting to hear the answer.
Teetorbilt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2006, 05:25 AM   #6
Long-Time DIYer

Door problems

The easiest way to correct this (or what I've always done anyway):
As said, first check the hinges to see if any just have loose screws. If so, tighten them back, OR if the hole is stripped out, dip a wooden kitchen match in wood glue, stick it in the screw hole and break it off and screw the hinge back.
If that isn't the problem, as said, it's just out of plumb. Try shimming the bottom hinge first.
I loosen the hinge screws and shim out behind the hinge using strips of cereal box cardboard, old utility knife blades or pieces of popsickle stick for this, depending on how much it's out of plumb. Trial and error.
When you get the door to stay where you leave it with the shimming behind the correct hinge, problem solved.
Good Luck!
Mike
Mike Swearingen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2006, 05:34 AM   #7
registered

Rewards Points: 524

Door problems

here is my answer plumbob...OLDSCHOOL. Couldn't he just do a quick diagonial measurement from one corner to the other and see if you get the same measurement from both corners. If not time to bust out level or plumbob and reschim.(spelling)
747 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2006, 09:42 AM   #8
Average Guy

Door problems

747, Out of plumb is not equal to out of square. If the door was having trouble fitting in the frame when closed, then you would check the door frame for square by measuring from corner to corner. But that is not the problem here. The door is not plumb, meaning the hinges are not inline with each other. in this case the top of the door leans away from the direction the door opens.

Average Guy
Old 02-09-2006, 10:01 PM   #9
Contractor

Door problems

mc, I believe that you have that backwards. If the top of the door leans out, it will swing open.

Make the door plumb and it will stay put.

747, a level works much better on a door, the body of the bob causes an offset. I notice that I am one of the few that use a plumbbob anymore, some younger guys are truly confused when it comes out of the toolbox.
Teetorbilt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2006, 01:57 PM   #10
Average Guy

Door problems

I wrote: in this case the top of the door leans away from the direction the door opens.

and you wrote: mc, I believe that you have that backwards. If the top of the door leans out, it will swing open.

I was trying to say the door we are speaking about leans in. But I was trying to avoid the confusion of what side of the door is 'in'. So I used "the direction the door opens".

Sorry for the confusion.

Average Guy