Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 10-11-2008, 04:11 PM   #1
Power Gen/RS Engineer

Share |

Door Prep Questions

I have a couple of questions regarding door prep. for a new, custom-built entry door that I'm getting ready to install in my house:

1. We chose a Schlage F358 Century Handleset for the door and the latch can be installed with either 2-3/8 or 2-3/4 backset (typical). Is one better than the other when you have the choice?

2. I downloaded the F-series door preparation instructions from Schlage's websit (the lockset is in the mail and I was hoping that I could get the door prepped before it showed up). Although these instructions are generic, I'm assuming that even for a handle set (as opposed to a typical knob/lever lockset), I would still drill the hole for the thumb latch at 38" AFF?

3. Assuming that my assumption in #2 is correct, how much higher do I drill the second holes for the deadbolt (either relative to the floor or to the first hole)?

4. Lastly, does anyone have the actual instructions for this Schlage model?

Any help is greatly appreciated, as always,

Jimmy

Old 10-11-2008, 05:35 PM   #2

Door Prep Questions

Lock set back :Residential is typically 2 3/8" commercial 2 3/4".

38" AFF is standard...

But, it is ok to cheat on the 38" a little so the lock looks right on the slab.

Same call on the set back. You can pick which set back looks best and will function well with your new (slab and jamb/stop.)

Unless I was familar with the handleset and parts I would wait until its on sight. When I install on any virgin slab I allways give the HO the options and involve them in the final decision.

Last edited by Big Bob; 10-11-2008 at 06:00 PM.
Big Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2008, 05:56 PM   #3
Power Gen/RS Engineer

Door Prep Questions

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Bob View Post
Lock set back :Residential is typically 2 3/8" commercial 2 3/4".

38" AFF is standard...

But, it is ok to cheat on the 38" a little so the lock looks right on the slab.

Same call on the set back. You can pick which set back looks best and will function well with your new (slab and jamb/stop.)
Big Bob-

Thanks!

Any recommendations for how high to drill the deadbolt above the hole that I drill for the thumblatch/entry set?
Old 10-12-2008, 09:08 AM   #4
Eibwen

Door Prep Questions

Hopefully ya got the F359 inside trim to go with the F358 outside handle.
Schlage packs it this way so you can mix/match inside/outside.

I prefer the 2 3/4" backset where possible just becuse it gives more room between the handleset and the frame stop. Less knuckle busting after you add weather strip etc. The main concern would be how it till look and set on the door if you have panels etc.

35-38 inches would be fine for the handleset.. The Schlage template sugggests a minimum of four inches center to center but latch/bolt are not interconnected so anything above that is personal preference.

If your not replacing the frame, you might center your holes so that you can use a combination latch/deadbolt strike like Mag or Don Jo. Just makes it easier to clean up the frame side if your not replacing it.

Installation doesnt take long so if it were me, I would wait for the product to arrive. Then you can use the actual template and also layout the hardware on the door first to see how it looks.
Sammy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2008, 01:53 PM   #5
Power Gen/RS Engineer

Door Prep Questions

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sammy View Post
Hopefully ya got the F359 inside trim to go with the F358 outside handle.
Schlage packs it this way so you can mix/match inside/outside.
Yeah, I did enough research to understand that you have to buy/specify the inside hardware separately. Good point though.

Quote:
I prefer the 2 3/4" backset where possible just becuse it gives more room between the handleset and the frame stop. Less knuckle busting after you add weather strip etc. The main concern would be how it till look and set on the door if you have panels etc.
You know, after I posted this yesterday, I left the house through the back door which has a 2-3/8" backset. Whacked my knuckles on the stop as I've did quite a few times with that door! That immediately convinced me to go 2-3/4" BS!

Quote:
Installation doesnt take long so if it were me, I would wait for the product to arrive. Then you can use the actual template and also layout the hardware on the door first to see how it looks.
I'm with you on this. BTW, I just got a screaming deal on a used Kwikset door installation kit. Can't wait to use it for this project. And BTW, the new door is prehung and I'm replacing the entire package as everything is completely wasted (100+ year old mal-maintained house).

Thanks guys!
Jimmy
Old 10-12-2008, 03:49 PM   #6
Eibwen

Door Prep Questions

Cool!

Good luck!

Sammy is offline   Reply With Quote