Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 06-08-2012, 02:29 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 250

Door to Nowhere needs a deck!

Help me out here...I've attached a picture. My door to nowhere is about ten feet or so off the ground. there is one footing about 8 feet out from the house, so I am thinking he intended about an 8 x 12 deck (as the land comes up quite a bit into an 'earthen landing' in about 10 to 12 feet).

Would I tear off some of the siding and bolt the deck to the house? Someone told me about putting it on legs, and attaching it to the house with "offsets", so you don't get a full 12 ft board attached to the house.....

I may not attempt this project myself, but would like to be somewhat informed when a contractor comes over.

thank you!
Attached Images

Old 06-08-2012, 02:39 PM   #2
Architect

Rewards Points: 150

A ledger board has always been my preferred way of attaching decks to houses. Usually, I like to either expansion anchor them into concrete or lag them into the existing floor structure under the door.

I think trying to build the deck foundation piers adjacent to the existing house foundation would be a pain, and really isn't necessary.

jcarlilesiu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2012, 03:32 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 25

As previous poster said a ledger board bolted is the way to go. Whoever does that FLASHING needs to be behind that ledger board before attaching the board then counter flash after the ledger board is attached.
21boat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2012, 04:20 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 254

This is what I recommend. 1st, I'd attach it to the house. You want to cut the siding, put flashing (there's a lot of guides/videos how to attach a deck to a house), and then use bolts to fasten it to the rim joist of that floor. Bolts are better than lags, and the #1 failure of decks is people using nails to attach it to the house. It sounds difficult, but it isn't watch the videos. The alternative to bolts is lags, to pass building codes lags have to be visible on the inside (typically you penerate fully plus another 1/2" so they're visible). You need more lags than bolts when fastening to house since bolts are better.

I'd personally make a multi-level deck, high decks tend to be cold and uninviting, and tend to be the decks not used. Hate to have a high uninviting deck you paid good money for and no one wants to use it. I'd make a small deck above with room for a BBQ, a couple chairs, then stairs to a lower deck that's your main that has plenty of room for all you want. It's inviting to the yard, then you get the best of both worlds.

Last edited by Piedmont; 06-08-2012 at 04:25 PM.
Piedmont is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2012, 07:13 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 3,054

Any deck would have to be at least 4" as a mim. below the door threshold.
That would make any ledger board run right where that gas line runs. That will need to be addresed.

Use 6 X 6's not 4 X 4's!
joecaption is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2012, 09:29 AM   #6
AHH, SPANS!!!

Rewards Points: 1,028

Quote:
Originally Posted by Piedmont View Post
This is what I recommend. 1st, I'd attach it to the house. You want to cut the siding, put flashing (there's a lot of guides/videos how to attach a deck to a house), and then use bolts to fasten it to the rim joist of that floor. Bolts are better than lags, and the #1 failure of decks is people using nails to attach it to the house. It sounds difficult, but it isn't watch the videos. The alternative to bolts is lags, to pass building codes lags have to be visible on the inside (typically you penerate fully plus another 1/2" so they're visible). You need more lags than bolts when fastening to house since bolts are better.

I'd personally make a multi-level deck, high decks tend to be cold and uninviting, and tend to be the decks not used. Hate to have a high uninviting deck you paid good money for and no one wants to use it. I'd make a small deck above with room for a BBQ, a couple chairs, then stairs to a lower deck that's your main that has plenty of room for all you want. It's inviting to the yard, then you get the best of both worlds.

sometimes adding stairs "inside" of the planned structure as opposed to "outside" of the planned structure takes up usable floor space but multi level decks are always really nice. it is a compromise really for either space, or multi deck functionality.
hand drive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2012, 09:55 AM   #7
Bill Kearney

Rewards Points: 1,006

Check what your local code requires regarding both the deck and placement of your gas tank.

wkearney99 is offline   Reply With Quote