Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 10-12-2008, 08:20 PM   #1

Share |
Question

door naming convention

when you call a door R or L, does it refer to inside or outside ? also, are the hinges supposed to be visible on the inside or on the outside ? you may be wondering why i am asking this online instead of just looking at an installed door - because there are none in the unfinished space i am in right now

amakarevic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2008, 08:29 PM   #2

door naming convention

The hinges go on the inside. The easiest way I found to identify/explain L/R hand doors is to put you back against the hinge side and swing your arm in the direction you want the door to open. If you use your left arm it's a L/H door, right arm R/H door.

jerryh3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2008, 09:00 PM   #3

door naming convention

What Jerry said! Any other way will drive you crazy.
Termite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2008, 09:42 PM   #4

door naming convention

AMEN, to back to the hindge for L or R swing. ( it also so helps to mention in or out) so the weather strip is in the correct place)
This works every time... except for storm doors and manufactured homes..
Always draw a picture.

Or plan on buying one in a hundred twice.
Big Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2008, 05:30 PM   #5

door naming convention

yea, what Bob said. ALWAYS draw a picture. I ordered a bunch of interior doors for our house and got different answers from different door guys. A picture eliminates all the questions
steve1234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2008, 05:38 PM   #6
A "Handy Husband"

door naming convention

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerryh3 View Post
The hinges go on the inside. The easiest way I found to identify/explain L/R hand doors is to put you back against the hinge side and swing your arm in the direction you want the door to open. If you use your left arm it's a L/H door, right arm R/H door.
Hinges are not always on the inside, outswing doors have hinges on the outside. But backing up to the hinge side and swinging your arm in the direction you want the door to open always works.
rjniles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2008, 07:03 PM   #7

door naming convention

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjniles View Post
Hinges are not always on the inside, outswing doors have hinges on the outside. But backing up to the hinge side and swinging your arm in the direction you want the door to open always works.
I wasn't going to get into outswings. They're not too common so I'd thought not to mention them.

Last edited by jerryh3; 10-13-2008 at 08:04 PM.
jerryh3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2008, 07:36 PM   #8

door naming convention

Hinges on the inside unless you want some criminal to take out the pins and take off your door. It is an easy break in for them.
Old 10-14-2008, 06:41 AM   #9
Mold!! Let's kill it!

door naming convention

Stand with your back against the inside of the door. Reach out and which ever hand touches the hinge edge, thats the hand of the door. If you can't touch the knuckles of the hinge because they are on the opposite side of the slab, then it is a reverse door. One of the major door companies (Pella?) has their nomenclature reversed from the rest of the industry. Most of the box store counter clerks don't know left from right, so I always take a diagram and make them attach it to the order.

If you are using a reverse door with hinges exposed to the exterior, you should be using non-removable pin hinges.
Maintenance 6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2008, 09:41 AM   #10

door naming convention

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marvin Gardens View Post
Hinges on the inside unless you want some criminal to take out the pins and take off your door. It is an easy break in for them.
That's not entirely true...security hinges on the "outside" have set screws that lock the hinge pin in place. It wouldn't by my first choice or selection...but I have used them.
Old 10-15-2008, 03:31 PM   #11
home improvement guru

door naming convention

Quote:
Originally Posted by RippySkippy View Post
That's not entirely true...security hinges on the "outside" have set screws that lock the hinge pin in place. It wouldn't by my first choice or selection...but I have used them.
I was going to say, a majority of Florida homes have front doors that swing outwards. Security hinges are used for these sorts of applications.

It's already been answered but the hinge will go on whatever side of the door will be swinging towards. If the door swings into the room then the hinge is on the inside, door pulls out from the room then the hinge is on the outside.

Last edited by AtlanticWBConst.; 10-25-2008 at 07:03 AM. Reason: Site Rules Violation: Business Web link Removed
aaron.klimchuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2008, 04:33 PM   #12

door naming convention

I worked at a bank once,,,YES a bank,,,and they had an out swinging door on the back of the building(with outside hinges),,,I never inspected the hinges BUT I am sure they were removable somehow IF somebody wanted in. I "LAUGHED" every time I walked thru that door. Yes they did have alarms but pros know there way around THOSE too. As a matter of fact it had trap doors up to the clock tower too, to change the flag up there,,,bet those werent secured too well either. other strange thing is they had a meeting room next to it,in same building,,,and I doubt it seriously if there was a wall between sides,above, the suspended tiles.

having said all that,,,it is the dumbest thing in the world to BREAK into a bank to steal money,,its in a goof proof safe ALL night. PLUS banks have less cash than most other retail places and MORE security!!
4just1don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2008, 04:40 PM   #13
home improvement guru

door naming convention

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4just1don View Post
I worked at a bank once,,,YES a bank,,,and they had an out swinging door on the back of the building(with outside hinges),,,I never inspected the hinges BUT I am sure they were removable somehow IF somebody wanted in. I "LAUGHED" every time I walked thru that door. Yes they did have alarms but pros know there way around THOSE too. As a matter of fact it had trap doors up to the clock tower too, to change the flag up there,,,bet those werent secured too well either. other strange thing is they had a meeting room next to it,in same building,,,and I doubt it seriously if there was a wall between sides,above, the suspended tiles.

having said all that,,,it is the dumbest thing in the world to BREAK into a bank to steal money,,its in a goof proof safe ALL night. PLUS banks have less cash than most other retail places and MORE security!!
</bank story>, haha

Last edited by AtlanticWBConst.; 10-25-2008 at 07:04 AM. Reason: Site Rules Violation: Business Web link Removed
aaron.klimchuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2008, 05:04 PM   #14

door naming convention

W..W...WW..wt..

Commercial codes can require out-swing... Many security hinges are offered... You can cut the pin and knuckle off and still not get in.. on a properly installed out-swing..with the right hinge.

Out swing is not the norm in FL for residential...commercial yes.

What the world needs is some standards. Open style A<B<C<D< in or out w/ securty hinge.

This won't happen because to many doors (Big $$$$) get ordered wrong and can't be returned.

Big Bob is offline   Reply With Quote