Door Landing Confusion - Building & Construction - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 09-01-2013, 12:53 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 75

Door landing confusion

I'm confused on landing requirements on door landings.

I am putting a deck on the front of my house (main entrance/exit door). As I understand it I need at least at 36'' x 36'' landing but can that landing be 7 3/4'' below the door threshold or does it need to be roughly flush say 1'' or less below threshold?

I'm just confused reading the code on landing requirements.

Thanks,

Advertisement

dabeast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2013, 07:01 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 712

Door landing confusion

Unless your local code says other wise I'd make it 7" which is a standard riser height for a step.
That 1" your referring to is just the height (or thickness) of the threshold it's self, not the step up to the threshold. Any higher and it would be a trip hazard.
If you were to spend some time on this and any DIY site or builders forums you would see where hundreds if not more people are have to deal with the builders 101 mistake of landings, decks, stoops, slab, being built to close to the doors threshold.
Water will get in under the threshold, and splash back can take out the siding.
Also in your area how would you even be able to open the door after a snow fall if it was a 1" step?
All codes are a minimum standard to go by.
If you have a 36" door the minimum I would build a landing is 48 X 48".

MEANS OF EGRESS DOORS IN THE IRC
Section R311.3 of the 2012 IRC and Section 1008.1.7 of the 2012 IBC restrict the threshold height of the required exit door in residences to 1 inches or inches, depending upon the type of door, from the top of the threshold to the floor or landing on each side of the door. The rise from floor or landing to the top of the threshold at other exterior doors within the IRC, and for other exterior doors that are not required to be accessible or which do not provide access to a Type A or Type B unit within the IBC, is limited to 7 inches, which is the riser height permitted for stairs.
Section R311.3 of the 2012 IRC also specifies that the width of the clear opening provided by the required egress door is to be at least 32 inches when measured from the face of the door to the door stop, and the height of the clear opening provided is to be a minimum of 78 inches when measured from the door stop to the top of the threshold.

Advertisement

Last edited by joecaption; 09-01-2013 at 07:13 AM.
joecaption is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2013, 10:26 AM   #3
Solutions (handyman)

Rewards Points: 260

Door landing confusion

Dabeast, I agree with Joe. In laymans terms, think of walking to the door with your arms full or pulling a baby cariage or moving in some furniture ... and think about the general area for moving around. 36" x36" isn't very big. The cost difference isn't great but the value added would be significant. As to the height, again, consider water, snow, ice build up, etc. Also the body gets used to a common step so keep with the code.
Mark Harvey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2013, 11:01 AM   #4

Rewards Points: 75

Door landing confusion

Cool so my original plan should work?

Deck -> 2 steps (7") -> 4x4' landing -> 1 step (7") and you are inside. Door is an in swing door.

Reason for the above plan is so that I can have the main deck below the 30" height so I don't have to add rails for usage and looks reasons.
dabeast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2013, 04:19 PM   #5
Solutions (handyman)

Rewards Points: 260

Door landing confusion

DaBeast, You better check with local building codes (places like Home Depot should know) about the approved height. In Alberta you can go up to 24" from ground level without a railing. after that, it's mandatory. Primary reason isn't for the appearance but for safety sake. Consider the very young and the elderly who might be at risk and make your decision.
Mark Harvey is offline   Reply With Quote