Door Knob Faceplate Unscrews - Building & Construction - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 09-14-2010, 07:38 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

door knob faceplate unscrews

on severak of my interior doors the Gainsborough door knob face plate unscrews and sometime that handle assembly falls off which
could injure the person has the experience. I have tried to tighten the face plates by hand using a non-slip rubber square but the faceplates always loosen up again. How can I stop this problem?

Advertisement

anfried is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2010, 07:53 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 75

Screws generally don't loosen up unless they're not tightly held by the wood into which they're driven. Remove the screws and plates clean any loose particles out of the screwhole (shop vac ) get some decent shim material (oak or similar hardwood) whittle it down so that it can be driven into the screw holes and be snug as you near the end of the drive, and glue it as you drive it in. Allow it to dry before cutting it off. Then redrill your pilot holes at a size that will allow the screw to have good bite.

Advertisement

Old 09-14-2010, 08:02 AM   #3

Rewards Points: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackofmany View Post
Screws generally don't loosen up unless they're not tightly held by the wood into which they're driven. Remove the screws and plates clean any loose particles out of the screwhole (shop vac ) get some decent shim material (oak or similar hardwood) whittle it down so that it can be driven into the screw holes and be snug as you near the end of the drive, and glue it as you drive it in. Allow it to dry before cutting it off. Then redrill your pilot holes at a size that will allow the screw to have good bite.
Your suggestion is right on but my face plate is not held on by screws through the plate. The back of the plate has a thread around the perimeter so the plate is turned onto the door knob fitting and tightens up to a perfectly fitting assembly...but mine loosen up after some use.
anfried is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2010, 09:08 AM   #4
Ole Wood Worker

Rewards Points: 2,848

Go to the hardware store and get some "Loctite" and put a little on the threads. It may be a little tough to get the plate off when you need to change out the door hardware but it should stay in place until then with Loctite.

If you aim at nothing, you will hit it every time!

Jim
BigJim is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to BigJim For This Useful Post:
oh'mike (09-14-2010)
Old 09-14-2010, 09:13 AM   #5

Rewards Points: 75

I found an old posting from this site. here is the link
How to Remove Gainsborough Doorknob?

It deals with removal of a knob problem on this brand - but reading post #7 of the thread speaks about the inner workings a bit. It seem as though the threads (female or male - or some of both) are stripped. Only thought there is to find something to either adhere, solder. or wrap to the male threading that will allow it to become tight enough to stay on. Of course, not doing any damage to the rosette if heating, as well as keeping any applied substance which would remain solid and allow the rosette to stay tight is the trick.

If you use that link, Check out thread 9 as it is a locksmith SN is genef.

Sorry i can't be of more help. But I am fairly certain you'll find someone with the right idea. Good Luck
Old 09-14-2010, 09:20 AM   #6

Rewards Points: 558

Use double sided tape behind the plate. Quick fix…
epson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2010, 09:29 AM   #7
Old School

Location: St. Petersburg, FL Minds of moderate caliber ordinarily condemn everything which is beyond them.
Rewards Points: 2,000

I would suggest using Loctite #290 (the green stuff)... or perhaps use #22231.... but DO NOT use the red Loctite as you will likely never be able to get the faceplate back off without ruining it.
Willie T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2010, 09:35 AM   #8
Ole Wood Worker

Rewards Points: 2,848

Quote:
Originally Posted by Willie T View Post
I would suggest using Loctite #290 (the green stuff)... or perhaps use #22231.... but DO NOT use the red Loctite as you will likely never be able to get the faceplate back off without ruining it.
Thanks Willie, you are right on.

Advertisement

If you aim at nothing, you will hit it every time!

Jim
BigJim is online now   Reply With Quote