Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 09-21-2012, 12:47 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Door frame resize conflicts with anchor bolt

I have a 28" x 73" garage entry door that I'd like to replace, for many reasons, but have a few locational problems:
The entry door is almost as far forward on the right wall as can be, right behind the vehicle door, whose original track was too low and interfered with the installation of a standard height 80" door, so they cut short an interior hollow door to allow it to swing into the garage and clear the main door track,
I've since replaced the vehicle door and used a higher, large radius track so I can now barely clear an 80" tall door,
but now I run into a possible width issue:
nobody seems to make a 28" exterior steel/fiberglass door, the narrowest it seems I can get is a 30" wide, but being this close to the front framing corner, framing the rough opening king/jack stud location for a 30" door would put the studs directly on top of a base/bottom plate anchor bolt.

Placing the king/jacks studs on the other side of the anchor bolt(closer to garage corner) would make the door rough opening 32 1/2" or so which I suppose I could reduce the opening using 1/4" or 1/2" plywood to bring the opening to shim-able width, but the door has about a 6" step down height into the garage floor and would make the threshold frame cover the anchor bolt.
I cannot move the door farther back from the corner as there is an intersecting wall immediately at the tail end of the entry door frame.
Pictures attached.

Is there any issue with basically covering an anchor bolt with the threshold framing? Or, would I have to remove the location-challenged anchor bolt and add another closer to the corner?

Anything else I might be missing or am I overthinking this?
Any input or assistance is appreciated.
Attached Thumbnails
Door frame resize conflicts with anchor bolt-wp_001249.jpg   Door frame resize conflicts with anchor bolt-wp_001251.jpg  

colossus610 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2012, 01:43 PM   #2
Mod

Rewards Points: 2,450

Quote:
Originally Posted by colossus610 View Post
would put the studs directly on top of a base/bottom plate anchor bolt.
Which is fine, just drill or notch out the bottom of the studs to accommodate it.

Old 09-21-2012, 03:39 PM   #3

As assumed, I'm overthinking this then? I figured as much.
Still better than underthinking, like using a hollow interior door for a garage entry door and cutting 8 inches off the bottom.
Thanks.
Old 09-21-2012, 08:40 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 4,152

Why in the world is that threshold built up so high?
If that was mine I would install a 36" door. There's no reason that foundation bolt could not be cut completly off and just install one of the drop in foundation bolts that Simpson Strong Tie sells that's set in place with an epoxy anyplace to the right hand side of the new door.
joecaption is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to joecaption For This Useful Post:
mae-ling (09-21-2012), woodworkbykirk (09-22-2012)
Old 09-22-2012, 11:08 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by joecaption View Post
Why in the world is that threshold built up so high?
If that was mine I would install a 36" door. There's no reason that foundation bolt could not be cut completly off and just install one of the drop in foundation bolts that Simpson Strong Tie sells that's set in place with an epoxy anyplace to the right hand side of the new door.
There is a poured cement porch on the other side of the wall, it's sort of shared between the garage entry door in question and the house front door. New pic attached.
I cannot go with a 36" door as I cannot move rough opening frame back from the garage corner due to an interesecting wall at the tail end of the garage entry door and can't widen the frame forward due to garage corner at the front and the vehicle door track limiting the entry door's inswing clearance.
I'm fairly well stuck at the 30" door width, which I'm now ok with seeing as I have options with the anchor bolt.
Attached Thumbnails
Door frame resize conflicts with anchor bolt-wp_001259.jpg  
Old 09-22-2012, 11:12 AM   #6

Makes more since now.
Have you been having issues with the siding and trim rotting at the bottom?
Old 09-22-2012, 11:13 AM   #7

Minor non-critical word of note: I'm not so concerned about the width of the door so much as the height, I'm 6'10" and this 73" door irritates the crap out of my skull, especially when I'm scootin thru the large front door across the porch to this low garage entry door, it's an occasionally painful transition when I'm not paying attention.
Old 09-22-2012, 11:21 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by joecaption View Post
Makes more since now.
Have you been having issues with the siding and trim rotting at the bottom?
Not really in this area, it's got a large eave protecting it and it's on the leeward side of the house, that entry door threshold is a plain 2x4 unprimed/unsealed, just painted. I have found a lot of the exterior was not properly primed or protected.. butt joints as opposed to scarf joints on a lot of stuff. Either no caulk or way too much used wrong.
Little bit at a time. I will be replacing some of the trim you see there. Now that I took that picture and you all are looking at it, reminds me I gotta scrub that concrete. Embarassing.
It's our first house and I knew it was going to be a project house.

Last edited by colossus610; 09-22-2012 at 11:23 AM.
Old 09-22-2012, 11:28 AM   #9

The reason I ask is the trim should never have been installed that tight to the concrete and that type siding needed to be at least 6" off of the concrete so splash back and wicking to not occur.
If you at least replace that trim with vinyl lumber as it rots and needs work there will never be a problum again.

Tags
anchor bolt, door frame, studs