Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 02-01-2010, 12:46 PM   #1
Insert catchy title here

Share |
Question

Door frame reinforcement?

I installed a new front door and plan on putting in a new back door on my house. I don't live in a bad neighborhood, but it's no Mayberry either....

I can buy a Pella door with a metal doorframe for around $700. Ouch. But if that's what will help protect my wife when I'm gone - I'm all for it.
I also see these products on the internet that are metal reinforcments to the puny 5/8" thick or so pine door frames, such as the 'Strikemaster II'

Here's a picture of theirs: StrikemasterII Now from videos of stuff like this I know it works. Eventually a battering ram went through the metal door after many hits, but the frame was intact. A good product, but lots of $$$ for a piece of metal.

I know if when I install the door if there's a large gap between the door frame and the door I am better off installing a solid piece of wood (perhaps a 1" thick piece of wood) as opposed to lots of shims to fill the gap. Also, I need to use 3-3.5" screws for the stricker plates and for 1 screw per hinge.

Here's what I'm thinking:
To reinforce the frame, could I just go to the hardware store and buy a 1/4" x 4" x 6' piece of aluminum for both sides of the frame? Then would I just screw the metal into the wood frame in a dozen places? Do you think that would work?

Any other things I should consider?
Thanks for any assistance!

AppleMac*Fit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2010, 03:03 PM   #2
Mold!! Let's kill it!

Where exactly would this aluminum be installed?

Maintenance 6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2010, 03:29 PM   #3
Insert catchy title here

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maintenance 6 View Post
Where exactly would this aluminum be installed?
On the outside of the door frame, attached to the door frame with screws.

What I'm picturing would be like this:

Old 02-01-2010, 03:38 PM   #4

Reinforced jambs are required in some municipalities in my area. Here's one product that can be retrofitted to existing doors:
www.jambbrace.com

Good installation videos:
http://www.jambbrace.com/videos.html

The system does work very well. To do it right you need to take the casing off and re-install it afterwards, because otherwise the system is only as strong as how well fastened the door already is.
Termite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2010, 03:42 PM   #5

I think you need to reinforce the strike plate on the door frame using screws long enough to reach the framing. Also use long screws on the hinges that reach the framing. A dead bolt will increase the security somewhat. Using spray foam around the door jam will make the entire unit more secure and give it a very solid feel. The problem with making a door "super secure" is almost every home has glass windows on the ground floor. In my experience these are easier to break than even a cheap poorly installed door. If it is a newer home with vinyl or aluminum siding a utility knife and less than 10 minutes will get you through most walls even if the windows are not convenient and the door is secure.

Rege
RegeSullivan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2010, 04:46 PM   #6

locks only keep out honest people
tpolk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2010, 05:48 PM   #7
Insert catchy title here

Quote:
Originally Posted by thekctermite View Post
Reinforced jambs are required in some municipalities in my area. Here's one product that can be retrofitted to existing doors:
www.jambbrace.com
That is exactly what I was thinking of with the metal. Those videos are good to see... lots of kicking, but no entry!

Quote:
Originally Posted by RegeSullivan View Post
The problem with making a door "super secure" is almost every home has glass windows on the ground floor.
True, but the glass takes longer to get through & is dangerous (risking cuts & injury) for the person. My windows are in bad spots, too (sharp bushes in front of). The big thing is deterrence. Most crimes are crimes of opportunity... a couple kicks on the door and the person should go away.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tpolk View Post
locks only keep out honest people
Absolutely. The idea is not to make my house impenetrable. If I wanted that I would construct my house with 3-feet thick cinderblock walls, lead-lined with no windows, steel doors and a tungsten-carbide 6-inch thick roof… with polar bears in the front yard to watch out.

I'm just looking for better security for while I am away so that with one kick the door doesn't come flying open. If it does, my German Shepherd will take care of the intruder and the alarm company will be sending police. Also, for while my wife and I are asleep at night, if a person breaks in - they are a predator (looking to harm people), not a robber, and the extra time it will take them to get into the house (whether through a window or via repeated kicks at the door) allows me more time to prepare for their entry.

Tags
door frames, security