Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 08-29-2007, 03:34 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 0
Share |

Door Casing Issues

Hello everyone. I am trying to put casing up around prehung doors that I just installed. However, my inexperience is showing through at this point. Apparently the door frame (jamb?) isn't quite flush with the drywall. When I attempt to put the casing on, I am holding it so it is flush with the drywall. When doing that, the casing is about 1/4 inch away from the jamb. Obviously then, if I try to make it touch the jamb, it pulls the other edge of the casing away from the drywall. I realize this may sound confusing when written in text only. If you need clarification or possibly even pictures, let me know.

Short of trying to remove the entire door and repositioning it, is there a fix for this? Thanks for any suggestions!

leted_82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2007, 07:31 PM   #2
Lic. Builder/GC/Remodeler

Door Casing Issues

Quick answer: You "could" install 1/4" furring strips (that can be purchased at any Home Improvement store to install in the 1/4" gap)....as long as the gap is consistently at a spacing of 1/4".
If the space is not at a consistant 1/4", You need to cut the nails and re-position & re-install the doors.

AtlanticWBConst. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2007, 07:48 PM   #3

Door Casing Issues

A lot of times you can beat the Sheetrock to get the Trim to lay flat ( STOP SHARING TRADE SECRETS!!!).......Wait never mind reset the door.

Make sure it is flush to one side or the other. Then use extension jambs if still necessary.
jiggyjack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2007, 07:55 PM   #4

Door Casing Issues

This is an example of LARGE width extension jambs (3.5"). The extension jamb is the stained portion. The pre-hung frame (in the pic.) had not been stained yet, when the picture was taken.

Last edited by AtlanticWBConst.; 08-29-2007 at 07:58 PM.
Old 08-30-2007, 05:26 AM   #5

Door Casing Issues

Here is an example of a furring strip added to build out a door jamb. This one was about 3/8". Sorry for the poor picture quality. It was attached evenly around the door jamb at a 1/4" reveal (set back). 18g brad nailer used.

Old 09-01-2007, 12:30 AM   #6

Door Casing Issues

Thanks for all the tips. I ended up furring it out using what the lumber yard called "screen moulding". It was the same width as the jamb, and 1/4 inch thick. Thanks again!

leted_82 is offline   Reply With Quote