Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 12-20-2008, 08:50 AM   #1

Share |

Don't want to build a wheel chair ramp. Any ideas?

Hi, I am finishing a small building for my business - 24x36 with a crawl space. I'm trying to figure out what I can do so I do not have to build a wheel chair ramp. I can only backfill so high. The bottom of the door is about 15" above the foundation, which means a ramp would need to be at least 15' long. Big ramp for such a small building!!

Originally I was going to do a slab foundation but wanted access below for plumbing, heating, etc.

Has anyone ever encountered this issue? Any ideas/suggestions? Thanks!!

Edit: Distance is roughly 18", not 15" stated above.

Last edited by jizzle; 12-20-2008 at 10:13 AM. Reason: Better thread title
jizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2008, 12:00 PM   #2

It would be helpful to know more about your space.
Is the area around your building totally flat and how much area is there between the building and the parking area?
Is the foundation concrete to allow for back`fill and an opportunity to add a concrete sidewalk and landscaping at the same time?
Can you post photos?

leezarrd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2008, 12:32 PM   #3

The land is not completely flat and the parking lot is not in yet. The bank was skimpy on the funds so in the spring we are going to lay down gravel. Later on we will pour concrete.

The foundation is block. Yes, I would love to have a sidewalk :-)

Here are some photos. These are the newest photos I have... the outside is completely finished now and no backfill yet. The first photo shows the land before we began.

The parking lot will be on the side where the person is standing in the 5th photo.

jizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2008, 03:10 PM   #4

A verticle platform or porch lift is about the only other option if you don't want to go with a ramp.
rustyjames is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2008, 07:09 PM   #5
Theres more then one way.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jizzle View Post
...Yes, I would love to have a sidewalk :-)

There you go.
Run the side walk down this side at what ever angle code is for handicap.
The ramp can head towards he truck and then have stair on the other side towards the camera.

Dont know code, but for $$$ reasons maybe look into framing the ramp in till you can afford concrete.

_

My current learning experience - 22x22 addition - Work shop, music-room, master bedroom above..
iMisspell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2008, 12:00 AM   #6

You have no way out of this if you're required to meet the minimum standards.

The Americans With Disabilities Act (ADA) and the ICC/ANSI 117.1 accessibility code generally require that all new buildings for non-residential use be made accessible to people with disabilities. ADA is federal law. So, you have no choice but to provide an accessible route. That doesn't mean that the front door has to be accessible in all cases, a secondary route might be considered. The type of business you operate will dictate a lot of this. If you have the public coming in (like a store, clinic, or leasing office), the entire building must be accessible...That includes everything from door hardware to corridor width to required bathroom space and dimensions to signage in braile to water fountains to light fixtures. If you do not have public access and only have employees, you still have to meet ADA and/or ICC/ANSI 117.1, but all you have to do is get the employees in the work area in a compliant manner, and are required to make accomodations for a disabled employee.

Remember that the ramp is only part of the equation. Disability codes are not just for people in wheelchairs. They're for the blind, people with a broken foot, people with balance issues, and any other disability you can think of. Cutting corners opens you and the enforcement jurisdiction up to a slam-dunk easy lawsuit. Check out Link vs. the City of Hay's KS.

If you haven't done so, you need to sit down with the City's plans examiner and building official to determine what accessibility code they're enforcing and what you need to know.

www.adaproject.org is an excellent resource center.
Termite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2008, 08:05 AM   #7
Mold!! Let's kill it!

You didn't really say what type or size of business you plan to operate. If it is open to the public for walk in trade, then you may be required to make it accessible per ADA standards. There may be alternative plans of accessibility that are permitted under the ADA, such as offering curb service, for example. If it is not open to the public and strictly a work place, such as a repair shop that picks up and delivers work, then you may be exempt if there are less than a certain number of employees. Your local municipality may not recognize any exemptions. Many local jurisdictions make ADA compliance unilateral and are not aware of exemptions. The ADA is administered by the Justice department who offers a technical assistance program. http://www.ada.gov/ It would be in your interest to find out all you can before investing in a lot of accessories that you may not need. In any case, you are entitled to a tax credit for any expenditure necessary to comply with the ADA requirement. I've even seen local building inspectors try to enforce ADA accessibility standards in mechanical spaces that would have been downright dangerous for a disabled person to enter, so it follows that you need to be familiar with the requirements. All in all it's not a bad law, just be sure that it is being fairly applied.
Maintenance 6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2008, 10:47 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by jizzle View Post
The land is not completely flat and the parking lot is not in yet. The bank was skimpy on the funds so in the spring we are going to lay down gravel. Later on we will pour concrete.

The foundation is block. Yes, I would love to have a sidewalk :-)

Here are some photos. These are the newest photos I have... the outside is completely finished now and no backfill yet. The first photo shows the land before we began.

The parking lot will be on the side where the person is standing in the 5th photo.

That side of the building doesn't appear to have foundation vents in it, bring more fill dirt on that side , to minimize the height which will make any ramp needed shorter.

butlersprints is offline   Reply With Quote