Forums | Home Repair | Home Improvement | Painting | Interior Decorating | Remodeling | Landscaping

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 11-24-2007, 07:25 PM   #1
I have gas!

Share |

Does PVC trim stock compress???

I had a couple of metal brackets made to support a relatively large bay window that I just installed. The brackets are made out of 3/8"x1.5" iron stock in the shape of a triangle. It's the same stuff they use for iron railings. To make siding easier, I want first attach a strip of 5/4 trim stock (5/4X3X16) against the house and then attach these to the 5/4 and lag bolt through to the studs or blocking in the wall.
Now the question, can I use 5/4 PVC for this trim stock or does PVC compress slightly and make the support of the bracket useless? I know you can't use PVC for anything structural, that's why I'm asking.
I hope I have described this well enough.
TIA
Old 11-24-2007, 08:33 PM   #2
Remodeling Contractor

I think you'll be fine,as long as the surfaces are smooth.This stuff has been known to crack,but usually from a hard blow from a hammer when it isn't against something solid.
You could park your car on it and it won't collapse or distort,so as long as both contact surfaces are smooth it'll work.
oldfrt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2007, 10:24 AM   #3
I have gas!

Thanks, in those terms, I think of it as parking your car on it with a screwdriver between the tire and the PVC; it will leave an impression.
Old 11-25-2007, 11:28 AM   #4
I have gas!

Which gave me an idea for a test. I took a few scraps of material and sandwiched a 1/2" nut between them and drove over them with my car. The PVC and 2x4 "impressed" about 1/16" (the 2x4 maybe slightly more) and the plywood a bit less.
Attached Thumbnails
Does PVC trim stock compress???-pressuretest.jpg  
Old 11-25-2007, 02:15 PM   #5
remodeling pro

Be sue you use a true PVC solid material like "Azeck". Many of the materials that look the same (the cheaper ones and available at the big boxes as well as some lumber yards) have a very brittle plastic shell over a much softer core.
troubleseeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2007, 03:51 PM   #6
Remodeling Contractor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clutchcargo View Post
Which gave me an idea for a test. I took a few scraps of material and sandwiched a 1/2" nut between them and drove over them with my car. The PVC and 2x4 "impressed" about 1/16" (the 2x4 maybe slightly more) and the plywood a bit less.
Looks like the plastic faired better than the wood.

Keep in mind that the surface area of your bracket is larger than that nut ,and ,if it would make you feel more comfortable,put a wider Piece of metal flat-stock between the bracket and the plastic.

I just installed a bow unit last week and the manufacturer recommended leaving the outside face of the window a little high before installing the supports.Most units (newer)have a cable system which runs through the casings and is fastened to a point above the unit.These are adjustable and are meant to help true-up the sill and help support the window.
Old 11-25-2007, 05:08 PM   #7
I have gas!

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldfrt View Post
I just installed a bow unit last week and the manufacturer recommended leaving the outside face of the window a little high before installing the supports.Most units (newer)have a cable system which runs through the casings and is fastened to a point above the unit.These are adjustable and are meant to help true-up the sill and help support the window.
The cable system is the problem for me and I was skeptical of it when I was installing the bay. The window sits out about 18" off the house and there are a total of 4 double hung windows in it. There's a lot of tension on the cable and I can't adjust it anymore because I'm worried that hardware on either end will break.
When I installed the window it was perfect. I noticed, as I was trimming it, it sank about a 1/4". I was able to adjust it to nearly perfect but it sank to about 1/8" out of true.
I was going to put decorative brackets up anyway but now they'll be functional.
Old 11-25-2007, 08:02 PM   #8
Remodeling Contractor

I had my bow unit jacked up with temporary posts and a 4x4 across the width while I tightened the cable, making sure I it wasn't in the way of putting on the brackets.
Can you still get at the cables?
I never trusted the cables,as they always seem to keep on stretching so a solid bracket is a must.
Best way ,for insulating purposes, is to close in under the unit with a framed return at an angle back to the wall.It's a lot more work but 100% guaranteed not to fail.