Does Mirror Act As Radiant Barrier Like Alum? - Building & Construction - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 08-28-2011, 09:50 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Does Mirror act as Radiant Barrier like Alum?

I have Googled and researched but not come up with a yes or no answer. The sites all say radiant barriers reflect heat/energy "like a mirror reflects light." It would seem common sense that mirrors would reflect heat/energy, too, but when the grandkids ask, I want the correct answer. I see this question coming up along with solar heating, swamp coolers, etc. Before I let them move a heavy spare mirror to the south side of the dog house to test it out, it would be nice to know whether it is worth it or not.

Advertisement

Polly003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2011, 03:22 PM   #2
Residential Designer

Rewards Points: 550
Send a message via Skype™ to AndyGump

I have never performed the scientific method in experimenting with household mirrors and the south side of dog houses (thank god it is not the south end of the dog).

But it seems logical enough to assume you have the same properties at work as one would have with the reflective, aluminum coated radiant barrier.

Andy.

Advertisement

AndyGump is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2011, 10:55 AM   #3

Rewards Points: 10

Thanks, AndyGump, for response.

I guess the grandkids can go ahead with setting up an experiment. If they get a demonstrable measurable result, I'll post it here later.
Polly003 is offline   Reply With Quote