Does This House Foundation Have Problems? - Building & Construction - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 09-12-2011, 11:24 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 504

Does this house foundation have problems?

This house has a large backyard patio that has enormous cracks in it, some and inch wide or more just a disaster. The front yard is almost entirely paved in concrete, and it is heavily cracked, although the cracks are not so wide.
The living room floor you cannot tell because it is covered over with laminate flooring. Do you guys think this house has foundation problems? There is a building near by that we looked at (about 1/4 mile away) that was found by building inspector to have foundation problems.
This house is located in Costa Mesa, CA

Advertisement

darsunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2011, 11:33 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 75

Quote:
Originally Posted by darsunt View Post
This house has a large backyard patio that has enormous cracks in it, some and inch wide or more just a disaster. The front yard is almost entirely paved in concrete, and it is heavily cracked, although the cracks are not so wide.
The living room floor you cannot tell because it is covered over with laminate flooring. Do you guys think this house has foundation problems? There is a building near by that we looked at (about 1/4 mile away) that was found by building inspector to have foundation problems.
This house is located in Costa Mesa, CA
Sounds like 2 different Issues here.the house foundation was permitted.soils quality compression strenght were know at plan check and your area.
The Patio flat work was done after the house and likely not permitted or inspected.the failure of the flat work,is placement of expansion joints,compaction of finish grade,materials used for compaction etc.
best to get a bobcat in and dump truck...bust it out and do it right this time round.

Advertisement

Marbledust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2011, 12:10 PM   #3
Retired from the grind

Rewards Points: 2,508

The patios have nothing to do with the foundation. What you have is someone attempting to go cheap by not wanting to care for a yard. I would tear it up, and put down a plan in landscaping for both the front and back yards. As for the interior of the home, what brought up the short uninformative question about the laminate flooring?
gregzoll is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2011, 10:47 PM   #4
Residential Designer

Rewards Points: 552
Send a message via Skype™ to AndyGump

Is this a house you are thinking of purchasing or your present home?

Andy.
AndyGump is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2011, 09:18 AM   #5
I ask the impossible!

Rewards Points: 508

Given the location being that it's in Costa Mesa, CA, are you thinking it might've been damaged in an earthquake?
Please do NOT consider any "before" picture of my house as any kind of endorsement of any particular construction method. In fact, you should probably assume that if I post a "before" picture, I am posting it because I am soliciting advice on a proper replacement for one of MANY things done wrong by a previous owner.
WillK is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2011, 03:12 PM   #6

Rewards Points: 2,000

Is the house on a crawlspace? Does it have a basement? If it has neither, has someone dug down the side of the house to examine the fotings/foundation?
Ron6519 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2011, 12:37 AM   #7

The house is most likely on a slab, 95% of houses around here are.
I'm gathering that a absolutely horrible concrete patio and driveway do not necessarily prove house foundation problems. But do they make it more likely? Also since a building inspector can't dig or cut holes, I doubt he can verify the condition of the foundation. I can't afford a soil engineer.
Old 09-14-2011, 12:45 AM   #8
Residential Designer

Rewards Points: 552
Send a message via Skype™ to AndyGump

A soils engineer wouldn't do you any good at this point anyway.

Have you noticed anything wrong on the inside?

Ahh, wait...you can't say what it is like on the inside because you can't get in there.

Thinking of buying?

Andy.
AndyGump is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2011, 11:45 AM   #9

No we heard rumors that the former resident was a pack rat (ugh) which might explain the quick paint job, and also there is an electric utility pole In the back yard. So that, plus foundation suspicions we walked.

Advertisement