Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 12-19-2011, 03:16 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 0
Share |

Does this ditch thing have a purpose?

There's this ditch in the back of my garage that continues to perplex us (photos here: https://picasaweb.google.com/1137698...eat=directlink). Initially we thought the previous owner ran out of cement so they left the rear unfinished, but today I cleaned out the dirt and debris from the ditch and discovered there's cement flooring there too. Needless to say we're still not sure what to make of it, but since it does have cement flooring I have a feeling this ditch was built on purpose (i.e., it has a real function).

The ditch runs the full length of the whole garage, is 35 inches wide and about 13 inches deep. Any ideas what this is for? If not, any ideas on how I can re-purpose it?

Thanks in advance!

anuvanoob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2011, 05:01 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by anuvanoob View Post
There's this ditch in the back of my garage that continues to perplex us (photos here: https://picasaweb.google.com/1137698...eat=directlink). Initially we thought the previous owner ran out of cement so they left the rear unfinished, but today I cleaned out the dirt and debris from the ditch and discovered there's cement flooring there too. Needless to say we're still not sure what to make of it, but since it does have cement flooring I have a feeling this ditch was built on purpose (i.e., it has a real function).

The ditch runs the full length of the whole garage, is 35 inches wide and about 13 inches deep. Any ideas what this is for? If not, any ideas on how I can re-purpose it?

Thanks in advance!
Maybe they kept live stock in there and this is a a trough for collecting animal waste!

Wildie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2011, 06:38 PM   #3

fill it in?
jesse09119 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2011, 09:18 PM   #4

Is there a drain anywhere in the trench?
dannyoung85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2011, 09:38 PM   #5
Jack of all - master none

I was going to guess it was for a vehicle lift or some other type of equipment, but th location seems wrong for that to be likely. Now I'm curious, in for the follow.
hyunelan2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2011, 09:59 PM   #6

Rewards Points: 36

Can you take a picture from further back so we can get an overall image of the garage.

There appears to be a ditch within the ditch. Could there have been a wall there at one point?

Last edited by joed; 12-19-2011 at 10:17 PM.
joed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2011, 11:07 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wildie View Post
Maybe they kept live stock in there and this is a a trough for collecting animal waste!
LOL! I wouldn't be surprised
Old 12-19-2011, 11:09 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by dannyoung85 View Post
Is there a drain anywhere in the trench?
Good question! I'll see when I clean up the other side of the ditch/trench tomorrow
Old 12-19-2011, 11:26 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by joed View Post
Can you take a picture from further back so we can get an overall image of the garage.

There appears to be a ditch within the ditch. Could there have been a wall there at one point?
Possibly and that is a ditch within the ditch. We speculated it's the footprint of the original garage's walls.
Old 12-19-2011, 11:49 PM   #10
Facilities Maintenance

Drainage. Hense the water collection, and the hole in the corner beneath it, is a grate covered in sand. Reason for it, is to allow water to drain out of it.

BigGuy01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2011, 12:33 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigGuy01
Drainage. Hense the water collection, and the hole in the corner beneath it, is a grate covered in sand. Reason for it, is to allow water to drain out of it.
I'm not sure about that. I don't see a hole or grate yet. Plus its weird that ditch is even there because it takes so much space relatively - our sedans just barely fit in the garage because of it.
Old 12-20-2011, 12:41 AM   #12
Facilities Maintenance

Quote:
Originally Posted by anuvanoob View Post
I'm not sure about that. I don't see a hole or grate yet. Plus its weird that ditch is even there because it takes so much space relatively - our sedans just barely fit in the garage because of it.
What's the dark patch in the photo? Is that water inside the ditch or am I looking at it wrong?

Only functional reason I can see that being in there, is control of water. If there is sand at the bottom, that sand may be over a layer of gravel, and act as a natural drainage for water to go into the ground, instead of in a pipe. That said, the dark shade that's in one of your photos of one of the ends of the ditch, looks like there is something covering a vent.
BigGuy01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2011, 01:00 AM   #13
Not a Noob or Boob

My guess would also be drainage.
Rob1975 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2011, 11:09 AM   #14

Rewards Points: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob1975 View Post
My guess would also be drainage.
That certainly sounds like a logical guess but it's way too big for what would only be considered for drainage, especially in a garage.
Msradell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2011, 11:54 AM   #15

Rewards Points: 4

If the original garage floor was lower, say at the height of the bottom of the ditch, maybe the smaller ditch was part of that original floor, which looks more realistic for a garage floor drain, and maybe when the floor was raised, someone decided to leave the front part of it lower, in order to drive or back up to it, for the purpose of being able to work under the front or back of an automobile. Not necessarily a good idea, for several reasons, but it was common in smaller repair shops at one time, and I have seen a few older private garages with something similar. Regardless, after ascertaining that it serves no purpose, I would want to determine if there is a drain in the smaller ditch, cap it, then fill and cap the larger ditch, before someone walks into it, or it fills with gasoline fumes.

DexterII is offline   Reply With Quote