Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 07-22-2012, 05:07 PM   #1

Share |
Lightbulb

Does anyone have a checklist for home remodeling prep

Hi Folks,

My wife and I are about to begin a major renovation to our home. We are adding a second floor to our ranch and gutting the first floor.

The plans have been drawn and the contractor has been selected. I'm curious to know if anyone has a checklist that I can follow so that I make sure my wife and I have covered all our bases in preparing for the work.

Some details:
- We will have to be out of the house for 4-6 months.
- All of our belongings will be removed from the house during the renovation.

I appreciate any feedback you guys can provide.

Frank

WooGeezy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2012, 01:56 PM   #2
Retired Cabinetmaker

Your contractor should have a "Critical time line" calender. This is prepared by the project manager to coordinate the different trade sequences.
Ask the project manager for a copy and you will know what is going on.
The scheduling is probably going to change somewhat depending on weather and working around issues like late arrival materials etc. Ask for a regularly updated copy.
Any preparation work that you are responsible for should be scheduled by the project manager and written into this critical time line.
Mike

Old 07-23-2012, 06:22 PM   #3
Retired from the grind

Look up Gnatt chart. There are templates in office.microsoft.com for Excel, and should also be avail in Google Docs. Here is a good link that explains some info on renovation timeline http://renovatedsm.com/node/43 My suggestion is to just use a Whiteboard, or use a notebook.

Also make sure that everyone is on the same page, and knows what needs to be done when. It is easier to do this stuff by yourself, than hiring someone. Due to when you hire someone, it only takes one hic-up to set everything back, or screw things up. Also, never give money on a whim, when the GC states that they need it to get supplies, or when they ask for a lump sum up front. Use a third party such as your bank, to keep them on schedule.
Ren: Now listen, Cadet. I've got a job for you. See this button? Ren: Don't touch it! It's the History Eraser button, you fool! Stimpy: So what'll happen? Ren: That's just it. We don't know. Maybe something bad, maybe something good. I guess we'll never know, 'cause you're going to guard it. You won't touch it, will you?
gregzoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2012, 10:22 AM   #4
Cruising into the sunset

In no particular order:
  1. Visit the jobsite often and keep in close contact with the builder, reporting any issues or concerns as soon as you spot them.
  2. Make sure there is no issues with water freezing, if this work will be done in cold weather months.
  3. Ask the contractor for a joint meeting with you, him and the inspector and then discuss the work planned and ask the inspector for any feedback on potential problems.
  4. Sit down with the contractor and have him explain the plans and, if he can do it, ask him if you can see a 3D image of the proposed work. Many homeowners cannot look at construction drawings and imagine what things will look like when built.
  5. Make a checklist of materials you want used in the construction like brand of windows, types of doors, wood trim, type and rating of roofing, plumbing fixtures, tile, etc. Have the contractor sign off on this so there's no issues later.
That's off the top of my head. The more you know about the final outcome of the job, the happier you will be at the end. Get the pros to help you get the best understanding of what that will be before beginning the project.
JulieMor is offline   Reply With Quote