Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 04-07-2004, 10:30 PM   #1

Share |

do it yourself home construction

I intend building my own home in the not to distant future. As a qualified electrician, I have had many years experience in the construction industry which will enable me to construct my home, for the most part. I don't have any experience with plumbing, HVAC, or initial footing/excavation setting. Anybody out there with any insights, similar experiences, thoughts etc.

toby72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2004, 07:51 PM   #2

search for the title of your post on google and you should find a bunch of articles on those areas. Learn as much as you can and when you start to have questions about a certain issue then ask specific questions on it. I could have a 100 page post if I had the time .. hey maybe I'll write a book... haha.
Anyway - that's where I would suggest starting.
http://www.google.com/search?sourcei...e+construction

hatchet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2004, 06:39 PM   #3
Contractor

A friend of mine built his own home a few years back and he could barely swing a hammer. He found a home that he liked and had the architect crank out an extra set of blueprints. He hired a retired GC to help him build and get through permitting. Got help, as needed from LaborFinders plus there were friends from all trades that would just stop by to see how he was doing and end up staying half the day plus suppling lots of advice on all topics.
From first stake driven to CO took a little over 3 mos., pretty good time in anybodys book. He got a lot better with a hammer too.
Teetorbilt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2005, 12:22 PM   #4

i'm trying to find out about a seminar that someone was selling on the DIY channel just before Christmas. it was written by a Master Builder and titled Everything you need to know about building your own home. Did anyone see it or does anyone know the contact info
Thanks Brian
brian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2006, 11:32 AM   #5
IHI

Toby, best advise I can give and you probably know this is know when to let the pro's handle an aspect...namely the footings and foundation. This is the most critical part of your building and if not done right will only lead to many problems as the structure goes up.

As far the building on top of the foundation, you can have at it and mistakes are easily redone or covered up, but done let the foundation fall into this catagory-you need an excellent square base to start with proper drainage.

Other than that have fun with it