Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 11-25-2012, 01:23 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 264

Do you NEED a slab for a prefab steel building?

Here's the deal. I need a huge building, and have very little money.

I'm thinking a slab will run me about $10,000+ - but a dirt floor would be free. Problems I'm worried about:

- Bugs / pests coming through the floor
- No way to secure / seal the area between the ground and walls
- Nothing to hold the building in case of wind. Not sure this is a big deal, since you could still put supports in the ground, like you would a fence.
- Humidity / moisture from the ground. It's on a hill, so it won't flood or get really muddy, but I'm worried it stays damp and keeps the building humid.

Anyone know anything about prefab steel buildings? There are building on eBay that are huge and include install for like $11,000 - $14,000.

I could still pour little concrete pads on top of the dirt floor, for things that needed to be raised off the ground (mainly the generator)

tibberous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 01:49 PM   #2
Too Short? Cut it Again!

Rewards Points: 2,000

Have you checked building codes where you are to see if you have choices? I suspect you need some sort of foundation to anchor the building.

Last edited by user1007; 11-25-2012 at 01:54 PM.
user1007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 02:01 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 264

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdsester View Post
Have you checked building codes where you are to see if you have choices? I suspect you need some sort of foundation to anchor the building.
Never even thought of that- probably a good idea though. I have heard that, without a slab, its hard to get power connected.
tibberous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 02:30 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 10

I'm not sure I know what you mean when you call it a prefab steel building. More properly are you referring to a Pre-Engineered steel building. If so, the manufacturer will be able to provide you with specifications beyond those required for a building permit. Typically a Pre-Engineered steel building that is of rigid frame design will require tension ties from side to side to take up the outward thrust of the walls at the floor line. They may or may not require a floor to protect them from equipment movement within the building.
You have some research to do.
Budprine is offline   Reply With Quote