DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

Do you NEED a slab for a prefab steel building?

1K views 3 replies 3 participants last post by  Budprine 
#1 ·
Here's the deal. I need a huge building, and have very little money.

I'm thinking a slab will run me about $10,000+ - but a dirt floor would be free. Problems I'm worried about:

- Bugs / pests coming through the floor
- No way to secure / seal the area between the ground and walls
- Nothing to hold the building in case of wind. Not sure this is a big deal, since you could still put supports in the ground, like you would a fence.
- Humidity / moisture from the ground. It's on a hill, so it won't flood or get really muddy, but I'm worried it stays damp and keeps the building humid.

Anyone know anything about prefab steel buildings? There are building on eBay that are huge and include install for like $11,000 - $14,000.

I could still pour little concrete pads on top of the dirt floor, for things that needed to be raised off the ground (mainly the generator)

#4 ·
I'm not sure I know what you mean when you call it a prefab steel building. More properly are you referring to a Pre-Engineered steel building. If so, the manufacturer will be able to provide you with specifications beyond those required for a building permit. Typically a Pre-Engineered steel building that is of rigid frame design will require tension ties from side to side to take up the outward thrust of the walls at the floor line. They may or may not require a floor to protect them from equipment movement within the building.
You have some research to do.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.