Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 01-24-2008, 11:36 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 25
Question

Do I need a window or ventilation?

I have finished my basement with fireplace room, full bathroom, bedroom and laundry room. I have a door leading to an 18' x 20' room with block walls and dirt floor. I want to finish the room. Do I need to put in a window or some sort of ventilation? There might be one spot to put a small basement window but it would be alot of work and I'm not sure if possible at all. I want the room to be used for a bedroom. There are full size windows right outside the bedroom door and a walkout door also. It does not get damp in the finished part at all. I do run a dehumidifier but it does not run continuously in the summer and not at all in winter.

almostdone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2008, 12:20 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 10

Since you are making this into a bedroom, you need to provide egress according to codes. 5.7 sq. ft. min.

Is there a way you could reframe to incorporate the window(s) you mentioned?

There is no "grand father clause" available here since you are creating a new bedroom. Don't forget smoke and maybe arc fault depending on you current codes.

cnydave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2008, 01:46 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 25

Thanks for your help. I can not incorporate the existing window but maybe I can fit a 4'x2' window up higher on the wall. Since the ground tapers outside this wall (the only wall with any above ground area) it will have to be high. I will take some measurements tonight. I am wondering what the height requirements are for window egress. Not that I have much choice maybe I could build some sort of creative shelving that could double as steps or a ladder.
almostdone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2008, 03:48 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 1,072

Well, up high is no good either. The egress has to be low so someone could actually go out it without having to stand on anything. You really need to ask your local building department. Most are very good to work with. Most areas would require the bottom of the window opening to be somewhere around 44" high or less. But call your building department because that number comes from memory and could be off a little.
jogr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2008, 04:37 PM   #5

44 max is right, but you could install a "permanent" step, I built a hinged storage box on one job
Old 01-24-2008, 04:53 PM   #6

Rewards Points: 1,072

Some areas won't accept a step. Mine won't.
jogr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2008, 05:41 PM   #7

I'll have to take that back, mine was not in a bedroom. Thanks for correcting me. The storage box was a optional escape route, full egress was in a bathroom