Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 06-13-2009, 10:22 PM   #1

Share |

Do I need to use pressure-treated wood?

HI guys, I'm currently building a good sized play structure for my kids in the back yard and was wondering if I need to use pressure treated wood for the whole thing or just the 4X4s that will be cemented in the ground. I was planning on just going with regular construction Fir on the rest and using a really good water sealing stain. Is this a good idea? Any reccomendations on good wood preservatives? My main reason for going the un-pressure treated route is purely monetary. It will cost about a third as much as pressure treated. Thanx a bunch in advance,

-Tony

dainironfoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2009, 06:56 AM   #2

Fir/pine should last long enough to get the kids past using the structure, if it is regularly maintained to keep out water. Thompsons and similar treatments don't last long. Most real preservatives are as nasty as what is in treated wood. Yes, use treated wood where it is buried, but make sure it is rated for burial, not all are.

Just Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2009, 07:26 AM   #3
DIY Hack

Look for a used redwood or cedar set in your area on Craigs list or ebay. do a search for "Rainbow swing" and "Rainbow Playset" they are all cedar and even the old ones can be power washed and stained to look like new. I have seen cedar sets on craigs list for as little as $400. a lot of times people that are moving need to get them off the property before the closing and price them to move

you can even use the hardware and cedar lumber from a used set to build your own, or add to an existing set, which is what i did

Last edited by Mr Chips; 06-14-2009 at 07:31 AM.
Mr Chips is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 12:57 PM   #4
outdoors man

If you do get swing sets from some of the high end retailers such as Kid's Creations or Yardline, you shouldn't have to do much maintenance. Perhaps re stain the wood once in five year. Visit this link; when to stain your swing set .This is how I got to know Kids Creations.

To be on the safe side, if you get a pine or cedar set, stain it periodically (once every 2-3 years). I rather be safe than sorry. It's not too time consuming or difficult to do...
outdoorsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 01:51 PM   #5
Roofmaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by dainironfoot View Post
HI guys, I'm currently building a good sized play structure for my kids in the back yard and was wondering if I need to use pressure treated wood for the whole thing or just the 4X4s that will be cemented in the ground. I was planning on just going with regular construction Fir on the rest and using a really good water sealing stain. Is this a good idea? Any reccomendations on good wood preservatives? My main reason for going the un-pressure treated route is purely monetary. It will cost about a third as much as pressure treated. Thanx a bunch in advance,

-Tony
Where are you located Im looking to sell one. Hardly used by my grandson. Creative Playthings.

jagans is offline   Reply With Quote