Forums | Home Repair | Home Improvement | Painting | Interior Decorating | Remodeling | Landscaping

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 10-02-2011, 06:21 PM   #1

Share |

Do I need to sand after stripping

We sanded the floor of our cedar decks but have a very tough "sikkens" on the rails that is curling off and we want to remove all of it but hand sanding would be a chore on ladders. So can I use a stripper on these without affecting the deck floor? Or should I protect the floor. I know you follow up stripping with a brightener but should I also use a brightener on the sanded floor? We have a few ribbed boards that don't seem to sand smooth and still have a few "silvery" grooves on them that I remember did not absorb the stain well last time.
Even is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2011, 09:15 PM   #2

You'll need to neutralize the stripper with water. The water will raise the grain of the wood so you'll sand to remove the raised grain.
Protect the deck as much as you can. There's a good chance you'll need to wash off any stripper splash and resand to remove any raised grain.
The gray areas can be additionally sanded or the piece replaced.
Ron6519 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2011, 10:22 PM   #3

So i would not need to use a brightener? And I should not spray off the sanded deck to remove the sawdust we couldn't brush off because the water will raise the grain?? Just want to make sure I understand.
Even is offline   Reply With Quote