Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 04-02-2010, 09:06 PM   #1

Share |
Question

Do I need to remove Styrofoam from the french drain?

I have styrofoam in my french drain. Should this be removed? Thanks

RickDel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2010, 09:44 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickDel View Post
I have styrofoam in my french drain. Should this be removed? Thanks
It would help if you detailed the construction of this french drain. In a typical french drain setup, you don't see anything except an open slot for the water to get into.
Ron

Ron6519 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2010, 05:41 AM   #3

you probably also have bats in your belfry, too, ronnie

STYROFOAM ? ? ? in a french drain ? ? ? YES, OF COURSE it should be removed !,,, you really certain its STYROFOAM & it was plac'd there as part of a system ? we dos this work every week - never used styrofoam for anything 'cept concrete blockout's !
itsreallyconc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2010, 08:16 AM   #4
Old School

Location: St. Petersburg, FL Minds of moderate caliber ordinarily condemn everything which is beyond them.

I wouldn't remove the Styrofoam. If you do, it's liable to get water in there.

BTW, you're a couple of days late for April Fool's.
Willie T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2010, 11:16 AM   #5

Thanks for the help guys..... Here's a pic of what I'm talking about. As you can see, I've removed quite a bit of drywall (leaking basement problem), which exposed the french drain. My basement NEVER has water rise from the floor, my leak is from above ground level (construction problem). I can't even see identify where the drain conects to the sump pump????

Thanks Again!
Old 04-03-2010, 04:57 PM   #6

I think someone put the styrofoam in the slots to eliminate drafts, keep bugs from crawling out and to keep things from falling into it. If you've had heavy rain storms and no water has flowed onto the floor due to the styrofoam I see no reason to remove it. If the drain system is working properly, the styrofoam isn't hindering the process.
It seems to be purely your personal choice to leave it or leave it alone. The decision would be based on the fact that you've lived in the house long enough to make an informed choice.
There should be a sump pump as part of the system. Are you saying you can't find one?
Ron
Old 04-04-2010, 12:31 AM   #7

Quote:
I think someone put the styrofoam in the slots to eliminate drafts, keep bugs from crawling out and to keep things from falling into it. If you've had heavy rain storms and no water has flowed onto the floor due to the styrofoam I see no reason to remove it.
Ron, EXACTLY what I was thinking!

No, I have a sump pump, but don't see how the french drain is connected to it.
Old 04-04-2010, 04:59 AM   #8

are you in nj ? ? recall seeing this foam blockout for a ' slot drain ' which someone forgot to remove ! the idea was any water'd fall into the slot & eventually, because wtr seeks its own level, find the sump & pump.

are you certain there's also a drainpipe under the conc floor ? if so, you'd see the 4" pipe sticking thru the side of the sump !

headed to islamorada this afternoon so won't be able to respond til tues am,,, good luck in the meantime !
itsreallyconc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2010, 06:18 PM   #9

"islamorada" I had to do a map search to find it and it looks like a very cool vacation spot!!

Anyhow.... Yes, I see the drain pipe coming from under the house. However, I don't see how the frech drain is connected to the sump pump. I don't think it's that important anyhow, because water isn't a problem in my basement. (I am going to take the styrofoam out though).

Thanks

OH, and I'm in Delaware...

Last edited by RickDel; 04-04-2010 at 09:25 PM.
Old 04-04-2010, 07:56 PM   #10

Angry

I also have styrofoam in my french drains. With the recent snow and rain in N.J. my basement floor has about an 1/2 inch of water on certain areas of the floor. I also wondered if taken out the styrofoam would help to allow the water to drain into the sump hole, because the pump is pumping the water out, but I don't think the water is draining properly into the hole and thats why I am getting water on my floor. Does anyone think taking the stryfofoam out of the drains would help the water to drain?
Jfai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2010, 08:23 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jfai View Post
I also have styrofoam in my french drains. With the recent snow and rain in N.J. my basement floor has about an 1/2 inch of water on certain areas of the floor. I also wondered if taken out the styrofoam would help to allow the water to drain into the sump hole, because the pump is pumping the water out, but I don't think the water is draining properly into the hole and thats why I am getting water on my floor. Does anyone think taking the stryfofoam out of the drains would help the water to drain?
This should be a pretty simple issue. Is the water running over the styrofoam and onto the floor? If it isn't then the foam isn't the issue.
There could be many issues that is causing the water.
You need to supply details of the situation.
Ron
Old 04-05-2010, 07:29 AM   #12

It is hard to tell if the water is coming out over the styrofoam. Because when I went into the basement the water was already there. I am guessing it is coming over the styrofoam. I pulled out one section of styrofoam, and it was saturated with water. Remember the water is not very high, maybe 1/4 inch, and only in certain spots in the basement. So you tell me where is it coming from? Also the walls are mostly dry. Only at the bottom of the block near the floor, you can see some wet spots.
Old 04-05-2010, 08:50 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jfai View Post
It is hard to tell if the water is coming out over the styrofoam. Because when I went into the basement the water was already there. I am guessing it is coming over the styrofoam. I pulled out one section of styrofoam, and it was saturated with water. Remember the water is not very high, maybe 1/4 inch, and only in certain spots in the basement. So you tell me where is it coming from? Also the walls are mostly dry. Only at the bottom of the block near the floor, you can see some wet spots.
You need to take a more pro active approach to the problem. You also need to be more observant. Think of it as detective work.
Someone will need to go down to the basement during the storm and observe what happens. If your not home at the time, look at the styrofoam. Are there water drops on top of it? Are there water drops running down the front? There should be a clear indication what is happening.
You have still not supplied details.
How long have you lived in the house?
Has the basement floor gotten wet before?
During what type of rain patterns? Isolated storms? Successive storms where the ground gets saturated?
Do you have a sump pump?
Is it working properly?
Are any of the perimeter trenches covered so you can't see them?
How old is the drain system?
Without the details, useless guess work is all that will come about.
Ron
Old 04-05-2010, 09:49 AM   #14

If there is no pipe entering the sump pump pit (the sump) from the side, maybe the crack around the perimeter is not a true French drain but just there to allow for the basement floor to expand and contract.

If the soil under the house is porous enough, the sump without a French drain will work okay.

The styrofoam will not keep water from coming up. I would say leave it there particularly if you are going to put back stud walls. A real French drain is supposed to keep the water from coming up in the first place.

The only possible reason for removing that strip of styrofoam is to use the crack as a floor drain (to sweep water into after mopping) in which case you could not finish that wall. Also, you cannot finish the wall until you have corrected the problem of water seeping up.

Last edited by AllanJ; 04-05-2010 at 09:58 AM.
AllanJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2010, 12:56 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jfai

I've lived in the house for 12 years. The basement was wet once before maybe 7 years ago, and that was rain that lasted for 11 days. That is why I bought a sump pump in the first place. I have not had to used it since that time. The house was new when we moved in and the sump hole and drains were already there. The recent heavy snow and consistent rain has given everyone problems. People who have never had water in their basements, now have problems. The one thing I do recognize is that now the water table is unusually high, and that is part of the problem. But I think if the water was draining properly, that I would not even have water in my basement, because the pump is working great, the water just does not seem to be draining into the hole fast enough. The pump shuts off when it pumps down to its level. The sump hole itself is round with perforated holes around the sides. Maybe it is not a true french drain, because I don't see any pipes running into the sump hole.