Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 11-16-2008, 09:39 PM   #1

Share |

Do I need plywood over t&g sheathing on this house??

I am trying to beat the weather and get this thing buttoned up on outside before winter.

I have an OLD house I took all the slate siding off because some insulation expert drilled them full of holes to blow foam in 30 years ago.(and they have leaked ever since)

between the drilled holes and all the knotholes that are open plus all the gaps from dried and cracked out OLD T&G 3/4 sheathing since the drywall is off inside walls to get new windows in and insulation in stud bays,,,and drywall was junk anyway,,,it looks like the wall went thru a war,,,more holes than solids almost,,,(the t and g isnt very tight together)

do I NEED to cover outside with 3/8 or 1/2 " plywood to give consistant nailing base??

IF so I need it under windows too,,,which starts tommorrow,,,so QUICK advice appreciated!! Thx,-d-

4just1don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2008, 09:46 PM   #2
All trades carpenter

I would say yes but it also depends on the code in your area! I still would put 1/2" over everthing even if it was not required for peace of mind and like you said a better nailing base. When you go over with your t&g you still want to try to put a butt joint on a stud to ensure it will not pop later on!

CrpntrFrk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2008, 10:56 PM   #3

thks for the quick reply,,

I was thinking same thing,,,IF a nail row for siding lines up with a BIG crack or t&g lip,,it wont hold sickem,,,altho I KNOW you aim for studs. Question-how often do you nail vinyl siding,,,is 16" center stud shots okay?? I was going to buy one of those vinyl siding adapters for my coil roofing nailer(Bostich),,,they work okay???
Old 11-16-2008, 10:58 PM   #4

I agree...I'd overlay it with 7/16" OSB just to get a solid substrate. You could even remove the old sheathing if you wanted to. If nothing else, make sure the old sheathing is adequately fastened and replace any bad sections.
Termite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2008, 09:35 AM   #5

I agree termite, BUT I wont use usb on any surface,,,with our humidity it sucks,wicks into an edge,like bottom edge, swells and falls apart. have seen houses with poor roofs and other places where it shows BIG time. plywood hangs in there about 10 times better!!
Old 11-17-2008, 11:20 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4just1don View Post
I agree termite, BUT I wont use usb on any surface,,,with our humidity it sucks,wicks into an edge,like bottom edge, swells and falls apart. have seen houses with poor roofs and other places where it shows BIG time. plywood hangs in there about 10 times better!!
Plywood is made with the same glue as OSB and will wick moisture into it just as easy as plywood. In my experience I have seen no difference in the two for sheathing.

There are homes that had a remodel going and ran out of steam or money or died or... But the bottom line is that the OSB has been out in the weather for 10 years and is still solid. I would probably replace it but it is solid enough and could have some siding put right over the top of it.